Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Forward hatch for Bandit 17

Posted by Trawler85 
Forward hatch for Bandit 17
November 02, 2010 12:01PM
Looking for a forward hatch cover for a Bandit 17. Anyone have one ? 419 341 4015
Re: Forward hatch for Bandit 17
November 10, 2010 05:35AM
I just made a wood forward hatch cover for a Bandit 17 for someone else on these forums; I've attached the picture. Let me know if you're interested in buying a replacement hatch like this...

[www.sailmfg.com]
November 10, 2010 01:33PM
Very nice job. I was hoping to fing an original. This winter i'm going to make a female mold and make a new fiberglass hatch. Thanks very much for the reply and will let how the hatch is coming along if you would like.
November 11, 2010 06:10AM
I'd definitely like to see more details about making a fiberglass mold and a replacement hatch. I've never done fiberglass work, but I'd like to try it sometime. You'll probably need an original hatch to make your female mold - you probably know that the original is curved in complex ways to fit the hull...

Take lots of pictures and post them here!

Dave
November 14, 2010 04:33AM
You know, I could probably make a male cast of my original hatch for you out of water putty or something; then you'd have a male mold to use. I'd think that would be a lot easier to make a fiberglass replacement with...
November 14, 2010 12:44PM
Is there any chance you could send me the hatch to use as a pattern. I would wax it up with mold release and lay glass over it and then seperate the two. Would then have mold to use.

Kevin
November 18, 2010 04:30AM
Well, I'm not comfortable shipping my hatch out; it's too hard to replace if it gets damaged in shipping. Anyway, wouldn't it be a lot easier to use a male mold? You'd just put on the mold release, glass over the top, coat it, and then trim the sides down after you take it off. The underside of the hatch has to fit the hull closely to seal out the water. I'd think it would be hard to use a female mold because there's no way to control the shape of the underside of the newly-made hatch. Does this make sense?
November 19, 2010 01:33PM
The way the hatch you have was made was off of a female mold. You apply mold relaase, spray or brush the gelcoat on the inside of the mold. That way you get all of the textures of the hatch. (anti skid ect...) Then you lay up the glass using polyester or epoxy resin. After it cures you remove it from the mold and fit it to the boat. The under side o the hatch has no function other than over hanging over the raised area around the hatch opening. It is not a water tite fit. If any other question you can call me. 419 341 4015

Kevin
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login