Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

buying a sidewinder

Posted by clemsoner 
buying a sidewinder
August 02, 2006 06:25AM
I'm thinking about buying a sidewinder from a friend of my brother (both of whom I trust), and wondered if anyone had any advice. Keep in mind that I'm a novice to the sport - I've only sailed a sunfish a few times in Perdido Bay, Pensecola. Of course, I loved it! Here is what the owner has to say about it,
"Love those sail boats, can't stand those stink-pots. I haven't seen the boat in several years. It's a Sidewinder and, if memory serves, its 14 ft. long.
If you consider a Sunfish a "wet sailer", then the Sidewinder is a "semi-dry sailer"
It's sloop rigged with a roller reefing jib. In a decent wind, it will plane - actually, its a pretty hot little boat. My wife and I and three children have sailed in it (all at one time), but more than three people gets to be a crowd. It can be single-handed with no problem. I don't know the sail condition. I'm sure it needs a good clean-up and some TLC. Trailer needs tires (I am told). Pricing is difficult since I haven't seen it in a while, but something in the $500.00 range would take boat and trailer."
When I go to look at it, what should I be looking for, and (sight-unseen) how should I know if this is a good price? Thanks for any help, Todd
Re: buying a sidewinder
August 02, 2006 01:03PM
Hi Todd,

You will love this boat. 30 years ago I sailed a Sunfish regularly and then moved to a Sidewinder, so I know it is a good progression. You would have to learn how to handle two sails (the main and the jib) at the same time, but this is not too hard and folks in here can help you. The Sidewinder is heavier and takes longer to set up, but is so much faster than the Sunfish, especially in good wind. Get it on a broad reach in strong wind and the plane effect is fantastic.

As long as the boat is in reasonable condition, $500 is a very good price if the trailer is included, even if it needs tires. Can you ask this person what the number on the sail is? From that I can give you a rough idea of how old the boat is. The serial number would tell you precisely. If not the sail number, what is the color combination? That is less helpful but does give an indicaiton sometimes.

As for three people: only if it is an adult and two small children in a light wind (I have done this). Two people is no problem (much more room than a Sunfish).

What to look for:

1. Is it complete? Original rudder and centerboard (see pictures in the sidewinder section if this website)? Quite a number of people lost these components (sometimes the lost the centerboard when the boat capsized).
2. How is the gelcoat top and bottom? Has it been painted or is it original? I've taken some very badly oxidized boats and restored them, so be aware that this is possible with a lot of elbow grease.
3. There are two portholes in the cockpit. What is their condition? Are the covers still there? You might have to replace these.
4. Sail condition (obviously). Unfurl the jib and check it too.
5. The bearings on the trailer might very likely be shot. Those should be checked and replaced if need be (cost to replace the entire hubs is approx. $80-$100, just the bearings would be cheaper). I would personally replace the hubs no matter what.
6. Trailer wiring. Do the lights work?
7. Condition of the shrouds. Are the ends frayed?

Where is the boat currently located? Where are you? Perhaps there is someone local that could help.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
October 16, 2007 10:38PM
hi paul, could you tell me what year my sidewinder is, i just bought it and i dont know to much about it, on the sail it says 455. thanks jason
October 22, 2007 07:37AM
This would be a very early model, 1970 plus or minus one year.

Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login