Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Reefing

Posted by Bill 
Reefing
April 07, 2009 08:27PM
Hey everyone. I got a question for the MFG 19 owners
Does anyone have reef points on their main or genny? My previous boat was a MFG Pintail 14' (shear coincidence) and it had two sets of reef points on main and I think 1 on the jib (it's been 10 years). My new main has the MFG 19 logo that matches the pics on the website, but I'm surprised that for a cabin cruiser (even though not a large one) has none. I also thought of maybe contacting a sail maker in Cleveland to see if they could add at least one set about half way up.
By the way, I see on the map that their are several 19 owners in Northern Ohio. Hopefully I'll see yall on Erie this summer! Appreciate the help and thanks also to Paul , you post a lot of good pointers, and advice on here. Thanks!

Bill

P.S. I just edited this after seeing again the main page didn't see it b4 because have forums bookmarked my condolences to Dick and his family.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/07/2009 08:54PM by Bill.
Re: Reefing
April 08, 2009 03:05AM
Bill:
Thanks for your concern. Greatly appreciated. With regard to your question about reefing points, I do have 2 sets of reefing points on my main. I feel fairly certain that this is the original sail, but it has been well maintained. I haven't yet taken the sails out of storage yet, but I'll be glad to take some measurements for you in the next few weeks and post them. FYI, I am located in Mansfield and sail at Clear Fork Lake. My boat was sailed for years out of Huron on Lake Erie and I'm very familiar with the lake. A good friend sails his 28' Hunter out of Marblehead and I crew for him on occassion. Let me know if I can provide any other info.

Dick
bandit 15 footmans loop
April 14, 2009 07:20PM
Don't know if anyone can help with this but I thought I'd give it a try. I have a Bandit 15 that my freind and I have been restoring. We have a footmans loop for the hiking strap that has pulled out. We cut a hole to put a port in so we could back up the new footmans loop and discovered that the area was filled with foam, negating that possibility. Anyone have any suggestions on how to secure the footmans loop to resist future pull-outs?
Thanks!
Kevin
April 27, 2009 07:06PM
Like Dick, my sail has two reef points....
June 23, 2009 05:21AM
My sail has one row of reefing points just below the first batten.

I'm not sure I want to be out in weather that would require two reefs!

Ken
June 24, 2009 03:40AM
Thanks everybody. I contacted a couple of sail makers up on Erie around Cleveland area. They said they can sew on a set of reef points for 80 bucks. I figure if they're sailmakers they ought to know what they're doing so I think I may have my main done at the end of the year.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login