Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

About to buy a MFG 19

Posted by Bill 
About to buy a MFG 19
February 22, 2009 10:37PM
Greetings All,

I am about to buy a mfg 19, and I'm very excited! She has a previous name (Mad Hatter) that I'm beginning to like. I have a few questions about the headliner. I've read a few forums that say most 19's may or may not have had them. This one did but the dealer I'm buying from had stripped it out because it was deteriorating. The honeycomb fiberglass look is now showing, and I'm not sure how to re-do the inside ceiling and wall. I found one website where someone had restored a mfg19 and put wood on the ceiling and painted the walls blue it looked great but I'm not sure how to proceed with this.
Also I was wondering if anyone thought a 55 pound thrust trolling motor would be a sufficient motor for this boat. I won't need a motor for much more than docking when necessary and maybe emergency. I think it would be better than a gas motor because it would be lighter, no need for a smelly tank either, again reducing weight, and I won't need a battery for much more else on board.
Any help is greatly appreciated, and also thanks for the website this is great. Hopefully I'll be on here more hanging out with fellow 19 owners, then again hopefully I won't, I'll be to busy out on the water!

Bill

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/24/2009 09:02PM by Bill.
Re: About to buy a MFG 19
February 26, 2009 03:24PM
Hi Bill,

Welcome to our forum, and to potential ownership. Let us know if/when you buy the boat. Our group is not very active during the winter months, so it might be a while until someone responds.

I never heard of anyone using a trolling motor with a boat of this size, so I cannot comment on your question. I am interested in the answer, however, so hopefully someone will chime in.

Where are you located?

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
February 26, 2009 05:00PM
I did some research on this... The hull needs a minimum of 2.9 HP to make hullspeed when loaded. A 55 lb thrust is about 2 HP, which means you will move, but not at full speed. The 55 lb thrust is adequate for what you want it to do.... and it will be quiet. I actually tried a 30 lb thrust and that worked fine for slow maneuvering. However, If you have a ways to go you may be paddling before you get home. I decided on a 4 HP gas motor (integral gas tank). Gives me more power and range.
February 27, 2009 03:10AM
Hi there,

Can't help with the headliner issue, but I went through the whole motor selection issue last year for my Bandit 17. I figured that a 40-55 lb electric motor would probably be OK, but decided on a 2.5 HP gas motor in the end. There were two reasons. One was that the cost of electric motor and battery was quite a bit higher than a used gas motor. Second issue was I wanted power in reserve for tight situations. I sail around Boston harbor and there are strong tides. I wouldn't want to be facing a strong westerly, an ebbing tide, and a need to get back into port in a hurry, and just have an electric motor.

The other thing is that the two stroke motor is so loud that I am not tempted to use it when I don't need it. The point of sailing is not to make a lot of noise and go fast. I have a Mazda Miata for that thrill. Of course, the ultimate luxury is one of those cute little four stroke Hondas, if you can afford one.

My advice would be, get the electric if you are doing lake sailing and not going too far. Get the gas if you have a more challenging sailing scenario.

Have fun.
February 27, 2009 09:23PM
Hey all!
Yes I just called and put the deposit on her! She's mine! I go next saturday and pick her up. I haven't sailed since I was 18 and I'm flipping out. I've waited ten years to get back onto the water, it is well deserved.
My wife even is excited. She never sailed before and when we got married last fall, and learned I used to and still want to she MADE me get a boat. I'm so lucky!
I think i will end up going with the gas motor, it is all inland lakes I will be exploring, but I may want to put in on the Ohio River eventually. The wind is steady and flows up river always but might be tight tacking in some areas. I look forward to that challenge next year.

Till next time...
March 05, 2009 05:22PM
Thanks for all your help guys. I thought about what I've read here and elsewhere and decided to go with a gas motor.
As luck would have it, my dad has an ancient 2.5 hp with internal gas tank. The bad news is the carburetor needs rebuilt. The gooder news is my father-in-law is a mechanic and knows how to do it!
Thanks again for all your advice. Spring is just around the bend, and soon we'll all be on the water!

Bill
March 07, 2009 12:11AM
Hi Bill,

Congrats on your purchase. You are going to have fun. There is nothing like a day of sailing with a lunch on the water. I came back to sailing after a long break and took some lessons to tune myself up. They helped. My wife was a first timer and found she loved sailing. WE have had some good and some "interesting" experiences. Of course, it did take some tactful explaining that "ready to tack" meant right now, and was not really subject to discussion and a family vote.

Peter (theakboy)
August 22, 2009 04:46AM
Bill,

I wondered what had become of the Mad Hatter. She was on Lake Arthur, [Moraine State Park, between New Castle and Butler PA on US 422] about two years ago.

The boat with the wooden ceiling is mine, the previous owner had replaced the headlier with pine tongue and groove, but apparently didn't treat it thoroughly for moisture resistance. So the boards have expanded and contracted over summer/winter moisture and no longer look quite as nice.

I've been considering replacing the wood with automobile headliner, but haven't set aside the time to organize the project....can't do it in winter, and the rest of the year, it's time to sail.

If you are doing river sailing, you're wise to have the power of a gasoline engine, but take very good care of it, because when you need the iron spinnaker, you'll need it quickly. Electric start is really not a luxury for a sailboat outboard on river or harbor waters; on a lake, you've got some wiggle room to fool with the motor, likely not the case on less placid or less crowded water.

Fair winds and great sailing! The MFG-19 is a great little cruiser.

Ken
August 26, 2009 02:01PM
Hi Ken

Yes Mad Hatter is doing wonderful! We call her Hattie for short. She was well worth every penny we spent on her. We tore off the motor mount and mounted a stainless steel plate on the inside and a aluminum plate on the outside and glassed over them. You could put a 200hp on their now and it wouldn't go anywhere! She's treated us nice all summer. The ceiling leaks at quite a few places, so I have to work on that this winter but, what boat doesn't have a few leaks right?

Good luck on redoing the ceiling on yours, and keep us updated on how it goes.

Bill
October 11, 2009 08:18PM
Bill, I haven't been on this for a while. I have a MFG 19 and was fortunate this summer to be able to keep it at a local resevoir all summer. I was able to get two or three times a week. I have a 46 lb thrust trolling motor, It is fine as long as the wind isn't blowing stronger than the power of the motor. It you use the trolling motor much while your out it tends to run the battery down fast, I usually charge it after two using it two times.

I installed a cloth headliner at the beginning of the summer, purchased headliner material and spray on glue from ( www.YourAutotrim.com ) I spent approx. $250. and it made a big difference in the appearance of the boat on the inside. It was a task installing it but it turned out fine. I used silicone on all the nuts and bolts that I took out when I put them back in place and the inside of the boat stayed dry this summer.

Tim
October 12, 2009 09:14PM
Bill,

I'm in the same boat, (no pun intended) with my cabin roof. The previous owners ended up tearing it out and grinding it down to the fiberglass. I was considering putting another back in, however, I think I am going to go the paint route. I think it will be easier with less problems down the road.
I concur with Tim on the silicone when you remove nuts and bolts.

As far as the kicker goes, I've gone the gas route with an 8hp long shaft. Tad overkill but when you need to get to point B you can do it fairly quickly. I purchased a gas can that is small enough to fit upright against the stern.

Tony
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login