Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

cleaning and bottom paint

Posted by ceaston 
cleaning and bottom paint
February 11, 2009 06:07PM
We have some warming weather. This starts me thinking about spring projects.

What is the best way to clean freshwater foul off the bottom (unpainted)?

Does anyone have a preference for the type of anti-fouling paint to use?
Re: cleaning and bottom paint
April 27, 2009 06:59PM
Well, trial, error, and a couple of local old-salts answer my question...

The ONLY way to get growth off a fiberglass hull is GRINDING.
100 grit sandpaper on a palm sander worked well. It took three sheets to clean the entire hull below the water line.
1 for each side, then the third to go over both sides again.
For the corners, I found that the best tool was a drywall sanding sponge (used dry).

ALWAYS wear a mask... you are breathing the dust of algae and fiberglass... and possibly old bio-cidal paint.

An epoxy copper-containing paint (hard, ablative) will let you paint once and get 2 - 3 seasons out of it.
Check your local Environmental protection laws.... some biocides may be illegal.
(NOTE: many states and governments now have laws forbidding the use of tin or paints containing tri-butyl tin.)

Mark your waterline with BLUE masking tape. Regular stuff sticks and leaves a residue.
Use a roller... covers and gloves must be solvent resistant or you will be picking threads of roller cover out of your paint job.
Do not try to save anything... buy enough to use for each coat and throw them away when you are done.
(NOTE: these items contain a bio-hazard. Check your local rules about trash disposal.)
Check the paint instructions... some require launching within 48 hours of painting... must remain "wet" to remain active.

LAST NOTE: Be prepared to pay... The best price on decent bottom paint is $150-200 per gallon.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login