Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Head liner

Posted by trjlf 
Head liner
November 23, 2008 06:30PM
Has anyone replaced the headliner or painted the area? I would like to work on it this spring and I am not sure how to go about it.

Thanks!
Re: Head liner
November 25, 2008 04:38AM
The headliner is very thin and soft. It is almost like a fur with a cloth backing. Some people like this look, and some do not. It is very 1970s looking.

I've seen it painted. It looks OK. You could also paint the ceiling and line the sides if a fur ceiling is too much for you.

My boat has most of the original headliner in tact. I've done a lot of fix up on this boat, but the headliner is one of the remaining things I need to tackle.It has fallen down in many areas, but it is complete. It appears that it had some kind of contact cement on it to hold it in place. It seems like the cement was rolled on because the spread is very even on the back side of the headliner. But over the years the cement simply lost it's adhesive nature and came down with the headliner. The backside of the headliner has this crumbly, old, dried out adhesive on it. I am able to get some of this off, but not much. I need to figure out what kind of glue or cement I will use. I need something that has enough of a paste quality to it so that it can absorb the crumbly old adhesive yet still be able to be brushed or rolled onto the back of the headliner. It is clear to me that an even coating across the entire back side is required, not just glue around the edges. I also need something that won't soak through the headliner. I have not found that special "stuff" just yet. If anyone has any ideas, I would love to hear them.

In looking that the headliner it seems like you could probably do something similar yourself. Of course, the fur look is a bit dated but it is more authentic than just painting the area. My boat is difficult to get to during the winter months, but in the spring I could take a picture of two of it if you like and maybe describe the patterns a bit.

Paul

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
November 27, 2008 11:05PM
Paul:
Just a couple of thoughts regarding the headliner. As you know, my boat does not have one nor is there any evidence of there ever being one so I'm really not familiar with exactly what you are talking about. My ceiling is painted and it works for me. The white paint actually brightens the cabin, and since I would rather be in the cockpit on the water sailing, it is not a real concern for me. Since my boat tends to acumulate a lot of condensation in the summer months when she is at dock, I would be concerned with that moisture with a fabric headliner. That may be why the mastic of your headliner let go. I could put in a vent, but that would mean another hole in the deck which I really don't see any room for. My other concern would be that whatever deck hardware you have would need to be seated and sealed really well to avoid any water seepage and possible damage to the fiberglass and core. It all comes down to your personal preference.

Obviously, my boat has been hauled for the season and is safely in storage at the marina. We had a fairly good season except for the 6 weeks I was tied up with the illness and subsequent passing of my mother-in-law. I did get out the last 3 days of October before we had to haul out. Fall sailing in Ohio is outstanding with the brisk winds and the turning of the leaves. Now we're counting the days until March when we can clean her up, paint the bottom and launch after the first of April. And so it goes.

Happy Holidays to all and good sailing!

Dick
November 28, 2008 02:16AM
For others that are reading this, I can attest that I have personally seen Dick's boat, with the painted interior, and it looks good.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
December 05, 2008 09:29PM
My headliner was probably replaced at some point. The liner is now indoor/outdoor carpet. Not soft, but looks OK. Except that the contact cement is coming off.... for the reasons Dick said...

I have seen photos of an MFG19 with a wood liner installed in it... probably adds a fair bit of weight, but looks sharp.

I am thinking of painting it... Dick, What kind of paint would you reccomend?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login