Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sidewinder

Posted by dsmith2062 
Sidewinder
February 14, 2006 03:05PM
Great to see forum up... looking for information on the rigging of spinnaker. Thankful for any advice. Thanks
Re: Sidewinder
February 15, 2006 01:57AM
I just added new additional rigging instructions that I had lying around to the Sidewinder section of the website. It is a slighty different document than the one that was up there. It has some (although a bit limited for my tastes) spinnaker rigging information.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2006 01:57AM by Paul.
February 17, 2006 03:21AM
I guess now that I know how to rig it up the next question would be does anyone have a partial spinnaker kit they are willing to part with for cheap, I already have the blocks on the rails and a spinnaker pole and I can get most of the other hardware, I guess all i really need is the spinnaker itself and the bracket for the pole. the boat is already a blast on a broad reach, It must scream with the spinnaker up.

The pessimist complains about the wind, the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.
February 17, 2006 03:21AM
I guess now that I know how to rig it up the next question would be does anyone have a partial spinnaker kit they are willing to part with for cheap, I already have the blocks on the rails and a spinnaker pole and I can get most of the other hardware, I guess all i really need is the spinnaker itself and the bracket for the pole. the boat is already a blast on a broad reach, It must scream with the spinnaker up.

The pessimist complains about the wind, the optimist expects it to change, the realist adjusts the sails.
March 04, 2006 03:01PM
I do not have any of the hardware, nor the sail. Anyone have a good starting point. Wish I could find were all the old sidewinder are being kept...
dave
March 29, 2006 04:10AM
I acquired a spinnaker today that is for a sailboat, and thats about all i know hopefully it is close to the right size. Now the fun part will be figuring out how to rig it. HOpefully it will be flying in the next week or so, i'll let y'all know how it goes

March 29, 2006 04:10AM
I acquired a spinnaker today that is for a sailboat, and thats about all i know hopefully it is close to the right size. Now the fun part will be figuring out how to rig it. HOpefully it will be flying in the next week or so, i'll let y'all know how it goes

March 31, 2006 01:30AM
Let me know how it goes.. How was the Brittish Virgin Islands? Good Sailing...
April 07, 2006 04:57PM
Virgin islands were amazing the whole time i was down there i was lookin for a small boat to sail. I've got the spin ready to fly, just waitin on someone with a little sense to go make a fool of themselves with me but i need to find somewhere to keep the pole without loosing it or sticking it through a sail.

April 10, 2006 03:29PM
I'm really looking forward to hearing about how the spinnaker works out! Have fun.

Paul
May 01, 2006 01:42AM
I finally got back out on the sidwinder today with a few friends, when I first got to the ramp I decided that it would be stupid to try to learn to fly the spinnaker as the wind was blowing a good 20 kts. I left the kite onshore and went out sloop rigged, and we were flying from beam- to beam for a good 3 1/2 min before I broke one of my brand new shrouds. Luckily i broke stuff in the right place amd we had the broken shroud fixed in about an hour and by the time we got back on the boat the wind had died down to about 13-15kts and we happened to have a 420 spinnaker with us, instead of the kite i got for the boat, which I'm certain is to large so we put it on and headded out. We got the kite up and somewhat flying but the wind wast quite blowing straight down the waterway as we had planned and evidentally (hopefully) a broad reach with a spinnaker that is smaller than the boat was set up for is not the best way to learn. So we did get a spinnaker flying off of a sidewinder, and we didnt break anything with it, so i guess it was a successfull test run, now I need to work on my topping lift/downhaul system for the spinnaker pole and get the boat out on some bigger water. stay tuned for further updates.

May 05, 2006 12:56AM
Way to go.... Up north we are still waiting for the ice to melt... just kidding. Keep up posted on the spinnaker......
June 05, 2006 03:19AM
A little update on my project, I took the boat up to camp friday and wasnt planning on taking it out but by the time I had gotten the mast stepped and whatnot there were a few sunfish putting around in 15 kt winds or so. Of course i had to go out there and sail circles around them, literally. I am pretty sure that is the fastest I have ever had the boat and that was alone. the only real change I had made to the boat since the last time i had it out was a clino-meter I was solo and carrying way to much sail for the wind so I didnt really get a chance to feel out how well it was going to work but after this saturday i will be in the same county as the boat with it sitting on the beach so i should have plenty of oppurtunity to play with all the new toys.

Re: Sidewinder Gaskets
June 06, 2006 12:04AM
Hi,

I just acquired a 1970 Sidewinder (Sail #682). It is in great shape, but the centerboard gasket is long gone. Does anyone have a suggestion for what to use as a replacement gasket?

-M.
June 07, 2006 04:41AM
look at the bottom of this page: [www.apsltd.com] I helped a guy put one of these on his chrysler buccaneer today and it worked like a charm, i think its cheap and it should last longer than the stock rubber stuff.

July 02, 2006 11:18PM
WOOT ! I bought Sidewinder #1599. As soon as I figure out this 2 piece masted beauty with jib, I'll be looking for a spinnaker too! Does anyone have dimensions for the Sheet?
August 11, 2009 07:47PM
This may sound silly, but does one need a centerboard gasket? I'm not sure what a centerboard gasket is (new owner) but I think it is something that goes between the hull and the centerboard to keep out water. Will the boat sink without one? smiling smiley

I found this link: (the link above is dead)

[www.apsltd.com]

The picture doesn't really mean much to me but I wanted to find out before my boat ended up at the bottom of a lake.

Thanks,
Ben
August 13, 2009 03:32AM
I don't think the boat will sink, but you might get a lot of water splashing up into to cockpit while you are sailing.

Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login