Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

dingo

Posted by onthelake 
dingo
June 13, 2008 08:22PM
I just picked up a dingo.Wonder how old it may be,and how to rig it correctly?Any ideas?
Re: dingo
June 20, 2008 04:11AM
We've had a dingo since the early 70's - 73/74 I believe - sail #738 if that's any help.

Any specific questions regarding rigging? It takes a while - we take ours apart every year and store pontoons, cross pieces, etc side by side then re-assemble next year.
June 29, 2008 01:52AM
Hi,thanks for the reply.My dingo says 881 on the sail.Would it be possible for you to take some pictures and email them to me?Of all of the cables,and ropes on the mast,boom,and sail.Also pitures of how the 2 black deck peices are held down.How the rudders ar connected.Also wondering what the strap like tags are on one side of the sail,they have velcro on them?If you cold help me out that would be great.Thank you,Scott.
July 01, 2008 08:59AM
If you have any such pictures, please send them to me too. I will post them on the website for future people seeking answers to the same questions.

Thanks.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
July 05, 2008 06:46AM
I wish I did have pictures like this.I was asking AmberBeachDingo,if she could help me out.Take these pictures and post them.I am wondering what the white plastic or fiberglas strips are for.They all very in lenth.Anybody have an ide.Thanks.
July 07, 2008 10:34AM
Hello thanks for the reply.Wondering if you could help me with how to rig sail,and mast.Could you email me or just mail me some pictures of all this rigging?Also wondering what the white plastic or fiberglas peices are that I got with the boat.Have other questions that are on the forum site.Thank you so much,hope you can help me.
July 13, 2008 05:55AM
If the white plastic strips that you are referring to are long and thin, then they would be the battons. The battons slide into "pockets" that open along the back edge of the sail, and are held in place with velcro strips that are attatched to the sail next to the "pockets". The battons add stability to the back edge of the sail.

I think we first rigged #738 in the summer of '72 or '73, and we probably attached some things that first summer that have remained in place ever since then, but those things may or may not be already rigged on your Dingo. There is a metal "U" shaped piece attached near the top of the mast, and the top end of the stays are attached to that "U" shaped piece. There are two side stays that clip into the recepticals on the side of the hulls, and a front stay. #738 has a jib kit, and the front stay forks hear the bottom with the two fork-ends connecting to opposite ends of a metal rod and the metal rod then attaches to the recepticals on the top of the bow of each hull. The jib is part of that front stay - the stay is the leading edge of the jib, and there is a round "furler" at the bottom of the jib - a thin cord rolls up inside the furler, and you pull the jib sheets to un-furl the jib, and pull the thin cord to re-furl the jib around the front stay. If your Dingo does not have a jib kit, then I am not sure what your front stay will look like.

Does this help ?
July 18, 2008 09:44AM
Thank you for that great info.No jib on this dingo.Would you be so kind to give me a little more help,wondering how the rudders connect.How do the two black deck mats fasten down.How many battons do you use,I have a large hand full of them.Do I use them all?Thank you so much for the info you have sent my way.Sorry I did not reply sooner,was on vacation.Thanks again Scott
July 18, 2008 05:37PM
NO JIB: I believe if there is no jib, the forestay (Front) will be shaped like an upside down Y with the single stay connecting to the mast and "V" ends connecting to the front of each pontoon.

RUDDERS: I will attempt to email you (and Paul) a picture I have of the dingo that was taken a few years ago that may reveal some of the rigging (you can see one of the rudders) and how the rope wraps around the stern to support the tramp. Hope it will be helpful.

DECK MATS: Not sure what you mean here - sounds like it may be an after market addition to your boat.

BATTONS: Should all be different lengths. You need one in each batton sleeve and secured with the velcro based on appropriate length. You may have extras since they can/will break depending on age/care. It is also possible to sail without one or more battons but they are useful in keeping sail shape.

My brother AmberBeachDingo2 has a collection of all sorts of sail mfg items I found when I was at the cottage a few weeks ago including the rigging instructions for the dingo and the bandit. Since he has a flatbed scanner and I don't he took the task of scanning and making them available. Hopefully with his work schedule, he can find some time to get them out here soon!
July 19, 2008 04:52AM
OK - found the original documents (Dingo #738 purchased new in June 1973) and scanned in some of the most important ones for rigging and assembling.
Now how do I post them out on this site ?
July 19, 2008 09:40AM
OUTSTANDING! I just sent you a private message about this. Thank you so much.

Paul
July 20, 2008 09:08PM
I emailed six documents about assembly, rigging, sailing, brochure, etc., and a picture of Dingo #738 on the lake where you can see how the front stay is the leading edge of the jib itself, and shows the furler at the bottom of the jib, and how the stay "Y"'s off and attaches to a metal pipe that then attaches to each bow. I'll see if I can get a picture of how the rudder assembly goes together and post that too.
July 21, 2008 02:49PM
Got em! I'll post them tonight. Thanks.

Paul
July 22, 2008 05:39AM
The first round of technical documentation for the Dingo is posted. Thanks to AmberBeachDingo2 for sending it to me!

I also have some Dingo pictures and brochures to post, but I'm out of time tonight. I'll get to it as soon as I can.

Paul
August 14, 2008 03:02AM
ONTHELAKE -

Did the documentation and pictures that Paul posted help ?
August 14, 2008 05:40AM
Hi AmberBeachDingo2,The documentation is really great.No pictures posted on the site yet.Thank you so very much for sharing all this great info.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login