Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bandit 15 Boom Vang

Posted by dmday3000 
Bandit 15 Boom Vang
May 23, 2008 05:43AM
If you have a Bandit then you've seen the crazy plastic pulley that passes as a vang. I removed mine (since it was broken anyway) and installed a traditional type vang. I did use the ball end of the old cable and swaged it onto the new vang. Here are some pics....

old and busted pulley

new and sleek vang

On another topic, does anyone else's centerboard seem to have a lot of play?

Re: Bandit 15 Boom Vang
May 25, 2008 02:22AM
The boom vang looks good. I switched my Bandit over to a conventional small boat vang for the same reason.

I also had alot of play in my centerboard. I made two bushings to remove most of the play. I have not decided if it was the right thing to do or not but everything seems to be working o.k.

Mark
May 25, 2008 03:19AM
What material did you use to fabricate your bushings? How did you install them?

I was thinking of building up the material around the pin recesses in the trunk with epoxy and micro balloon. I'm not sure how I would re-drill the holes after the repair though. Perhaps a new gasket would out help out a little.

On another topic, I have a hard time sailing close hauled in light winds, and can't point as high as some newer boats (Capri 14.2) Is this just a characteristic of the Bandit or my poor seamanship?smiling smiley

The Bandit does sail nicely in winds 10-15 kts, seems to handle and point better.

May 25, 2008 05:06PM
I made my bushings from pvc sprinkler pipe. I slotted the rings so I could still get screw drivers in to take out the centerboard pin. I also took a section of a plastic bottle which made a perfect fit around the pin where it goes through the hole in the centerboard. I held my pvc shims in with a little Marine Tex epoxy, knowing that if this did not work well that it would take little effort to return things to the way I found them. I also made a new gasket from the gasket material used for Flying Scot sailboats. I was not sure what else to do and I am familiar with the Scot.

As far as your question about sailing in light winds, I was a long time power boater and I do not think I have ever been out in winds less than 10 or 11 knots. We prefer 10 to 18 knots or so if we can get the weather. Days with less than 10 knots are reserved for scuba diving or worse....yard work.

Mark
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login