Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New Sidewinder owner

Posted by ksup 
New Sidewinder owner
May 19, 2008 12:31AM
Yep just got her(always a she right?) it's a 78' in fair condition. The gealcoat is pretty wavey in spots. Probably from a previous repair, and there is a 1" hole patched with putty in the cockpit. I think next winter i'll sand it down and redo the gelcoat.

Without further ado; the Questions!

1. I'm missing the piece at the very tip of the bow(or is it stem). Is there a genaric one that will work, Or should
I just put a piece of ruber hose there or something.

2. It's missing the gasket for the centerboard. I've seen the link for the place to get it. Should the gaskets on either side overlap or leave a gap? And if so how much?

3. I have a set of solid white sails (read not orig). Where the battons are sewed in the top seam on all of them
are missing the stiching. So the top is open like a pocket. They just old or is this for performance some how. Should I stich these up?

4. My porthole covers are long gone and replaced with some plywood it works but I'd like to built some new ones. Anyone have any pics of thiers? specifically the mounting hardware

looking forward to taking her out. This is my first foray into sailing

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 05/19/2008 12:39AM by ksup.
Re: New Sidewinder owner
May 19, 2008 03:16PM
Hi ksup,

Here are some answers:

1. If by "tip" you mean the front of the boat, then bow is correct. There are no generic ones that I know of. I think the rubber hose idea is a good one.

2. I don't know for sure, but I would think no gap. Perhaps someone else can answer this one. I'll look at both my sidewinders as soon as I can and let you know if they have gaps or not.

3. They are supposed to be open so you can remove the battons when storing the sail in the bag.

4. One one of my boats, the porthole covers were replaced by the previous owner. They are much better than the factory setup. I believe he use a readily available part, standard stuff. I was about to attach a picture and learned that it is not possible! I'll check the forum settings and try to get attachments working again then I will upload a pic.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
May 20, 2008 04:29AM
Here is the picture.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
May 21, 2008 02:29AM
Thanks paul. Some really good info on the site. Those covers look pretty fancy. Any ideas where to find them?
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login