Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG 19

Posted by Kevin 
MFG 19
July 05, 2007 04:41PM
I have just purchased my first sail boat and am looking forward to learning the art of sailing! I will be picking her up this coming weekend.
I hope everyone on here does not mind me asking alot of questions. lol
I will be posting pics of her as soon as i can.
Kevin
Re: MFG 19
July 11, 2007 02:06PM
Kevin:
Welcome to the MFG19 fraternity. You make the 5th MFG19 that I've been able to find in the U.S. I recently talked with an owner in Pittsfield, Mass. while I was vacationing near there. Feel free to ask any questions and we'll try to give you and intelligent answer. I bought mine 4 years ago when I retired. Like you it was my first sailboat. I've been out on it 4 of the last five days in some lovely breezes. Good sailing!

Dick
July 18, 2007 04:06PM

Hi

I just bought a MFG 19. It looks clean with original cushions till in tack. this is my first boat and I am looking forward to a retirement of sailing the Great Salt Lake. My sailing lessons are in progress. Hope to talk with you folks from time to time.

Bill in Salt Lake city
July 19, 2007 11:07PM
Does anyone know where to get informaton about these vessels? Like spec's, plans, number made etc?

Jus curious.

Bill
July 20, 2007 01:41PM
Bill:
Very little is known about the MFG19. I have been trying for several years to find some type of owners manual with no success. As I said in an earlier post, I'm aware of only six or seven MFG19 in the country. My sail # is 51 if that means anything to you. The pictures on this website of the 19 are of my boat. I'll be glad to provide whatever info I can for any questions you have. Most of what I have learned has been by trial and error and talking with other sailers.

Dick
July 23, 2007 07:18AM

I have been busy with painters and floor folk remodeling my 8 year old house. I have not had time to even look at the sails. I did get a slip at the Great Salt Lake Marina so I can try to sail her soon. Am taking lessons there in addition to the birth.

In my packet form the purchase there is a couple of things that came with it 30 years ago. One is a two page thing from the facotry and then about 6 or 8 pages of typed information regarding how to rig the vessel. Beyond this there is only the broshure which is on the MFG page ord a members page - cant' remember which.

For me it was the right size to learn on, it sleeps a small group of party left overs and it really looks nice in the water. A year from now I will know more if I don't sink her trying to sail the craft.

Bill in Salt Lake
July 23, 2007 02:54PM
Bill,

I rely so much on people to send me information. It is amazing how many times I ask for something and how few times I receive it.

So I beg you, would you please send me a copy of what you have so I can put it on the website? You can either scan it yourself and send it to me electronically or make a copy and send it to me in the post. If either of those is a problem, then send me the originals and I promise I will return them to you after I scan them.

I guess this is really a message for all who get value from this website.

I'll send you a private email with my postal address is case you need it.

Paul
July 24, 2007 04:15AM
You can send you home address or your can send me your fax and I will forward to you quickly.

Thanks,

Bill
July 24, 2007 06:07PM
Ken, where are you located? And where are these boats located? Any idea of their condition?

Welcome to our site.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 07/24/2007 06:10PM by Paul.
July 24, 2007 06:17PM
This is a test to see if this post shows up. Sorry, not too good with a PC!!

Ken
July 24, 2007 06:25PM
Sorry about that!! I'm from PA and there are three MFGs at a local lake near me. One is owned by one of the sailing club members that teaches sailing, and there are currently two listed on the bulletin board at the one marina. I just talked to the owner of the one that sounded the best to me and he claims that it is in very good shape with three sails, a nice EZ-Loader trailer, and it has a stove and sink. The funny thing is that he is selling it because he bought a Catalina 22..... The MFG has a 4hp Yamaha on it and the asking price is $2000. I'm sure I could sail it a few years and if I decided I needed something bigger, it wouldn't be that big of a deal to sell it and move on? The second one available, I didn't get the phone number on but it has a smaller engine and a larger asking price so who knows?

Ken
July 25, 2007 03:37AM
Well, let me know if you decide not to buy it. I'm interested.

Paul
July 25, 2007 06:49AM
Paul

The printed material should be mailed tomorrow.

Bill
July 25, 2007 03:17PM
I will be going this weekend to look and I will also make sure to get the phone number on the other one. I just stumbled across this site and I was amazed to find how few of these boats are out there, yet I know of three on the same lake!

I'll keep you posted to what I see and I'm also looking forward to see the new found information when you get it. I was told by this owner that he has no paper work on this boat. He told me it is a 1982 and he thought it was made in Canada??? That isn't adding up.....

Ken
July 29, 2007 01:34AM
Good news! The rigging and other MFG 19 information that Bill sent arrived in the mail. I have scanned the information and loaded it to the website in the MFG 19 section. I'm in the middle of a general site update, but wanted to get this information posted quickly in case someone wants it. I realize the rigging instructions are slanted - I'm not sure if they arrived that way or if I did it. I'll rescan them on Monday to see if I can correct this.

THANK YOU BILL!

Paul
August 01, 2007 02:16PM
Paul:

Thanks to you and Bill for the rigging directions for the MFG 19. It is exactly as I had been doing, but it is a relief to know I've been rigging it correctly. Good luck in finding a 19. Mine is still not for sale. Having too much fun with her.

Dick
August 01, 2007 04:16PM
My 19 will get into the water this weekend and I am taking lessons to sail it.

Thanks,

Bill
August 14, 2007 05:09AM

Hi. I just unpacked the remianing three sails. My Original sal has a black 61 at the head and at the lower part a red 34. I think it was made in 1977 but is great condtion. Sails are even great.

Bill
October 08, 2007 05:45PM
Hi Paul,

sorry to be so long in getting back to you...it's been a fairly busy late summer/early fall.

I am hoping to organize some MFG-19 racing/cruising activities at Lake Arthur (Moraine State Park in western PA) next summer. These events would take place on Saturdays during the months of June thru September.

Race committee is in place, as are two to three MFG-19 skippers, so there is ample room for more participants.

Ken
October 08, 2007 05:51PM
Hi Paul,

sorry to be so long in getting back to you...it's been a fairly busy late summer/early fall.

I am hoping to organize some MFG-19 racing/cruising activities at Lake Arthur (Moraine State Park in western PA) next summer. These events would take place on Saturdays during the months of June thru September.

Race committee is in place, as are two to three MFG-19 skippers, so there is ample room for more participants.

We have also been discussing an MFG Lake Erie cruise, tentatively scheduled for spring of 2008. Again, the more boats the merrier.

Ken

October 10, 2007 02:23AM

After much upset and unsettled circumstances (not boat upset) I have finally soloed my mfg 19 in the great salt lake. I have been out in for abut 16 hours 5 of them sailing without anyone onboard. I can only say I love it. The boat is east to hand but is a little light in the keel.

How many of the mfg 19's were sold? NO ONE has heard of them. All involved think they are great sailers and with ebbing water levels in the Great Salt Lake they can handle low water.

Any thoughts about your boats.
October 10, 2007 02:37AM
Excuse me for dropping in. I don't own one. But I wanted to give some perspective as I know it.

Good to hear the solo went ok! I wish I had one of these boats. It is not in the thousands, that's for sure. Somewhere in the low to mid hundreds perhaps, perhaps not even 500. One theory is that MFG did not make them for too many years before they got out of the boat business.

I once heard of someone who added some lead into the keel for more ballast. I guess that owner felt the same as you.

Most of the MFG19s are in the east, in and around Pennsylvania and Ohio. That's true in general for the line of sailboats from MFG. Only the Sidewinder seems to have spread far and wide, and it got up to about 2000 boats.

You are not so far from where I live. If I ever get out your way, care to take along a crew member? How long does your sailing season continue? It must be getting near to the end?

I look forward to reading what the other "owners" have to say.

Paul
January 09, 2008 05:17AM
My 19 sits cold in the howling winds of the Great Salt Lake, but what a time we had till late November. This boat almost sails in no wind and handles higher winds great. I have scared myself in to a few rushes but this boat is a lot of fun. I had to oppertunity to by an Erikson 27 but I don't think it has a lot more to offer than my MFG 19 ... and it sails not only in amost no wind but amost no water.

NO one seems to know anything aobut the boats. I wonder how many still float?
May 16, 2008 02:04AM
Does anyone have information on the weight of the boat trailer?
May 16, 2008 05:12AM
When I registered mine it read on the papers as under 750lbs.

I learned to sail my 19 and I love it. I have 5 sails and it can handle just about any weather. The sail lake can be very challenging but this boat has done very well. Now I sail a 27 foot and I think my expereince with the 19 gave the skills to do that. I have people trying the buy the 19 but it is not for sale.

I keep it at the Marina in the Salt Lake and in a few minutes I can be under sail. It is great. For its class it is fast.
June 19, 2008 07:41AM
Tell me an experiences with 19 ft with winds a about 20mph.

Bill
October 03, 2008 09:38PM
I haven't dumped it yet. If it heels too far the rudder comes out of the water and the hull weathers into the wind.
I do find that the high free board tends to catch the wind and make tacking difficult especially on the windward side of the lake. Jibing works though and it runs high enough into the wind not to lose much headway.

It handles 2-3 foot whitecaps well, but takes spray over the bow on about every third wave.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login