Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG19 rudder

Posted by DaleWray 
MFG19 rudder
August 30, 2011 03:20AM
I had to pull my rudder today, it has a nice vertical split, yippie. Easy enough to fix, it appears to be an old glue joint come undone. I'm letting it dry out overnight.

The rigging instructions posted here say there should be a line running from the rudder to a small black cleat. I see the cleat, but can anyone tell me where on the rudder the line is supposed to attach to?
Re: MFG19 rudder
August 30, 2011 04:54AM
The rudder is two piece. I cannot remember the exact routing of the line, but it eventually goes into a hole in the bottom piece of the rudder. The line is a hold down to keep the rudder from pivoting up while sailing.

If you take the rudder apart, you will see a small hole about 1/2" in diameter on the bottom part. A knot at the end of the line goes in here.from that spot, you should be able to figure out the routing to get the line out of the mechanism and up to the cleat.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
August 31, 2011 03:57AM
I separated the upper section from the lower, and I'm unsure which hole it is. On the picture linked below, Is it Mystery Hole #2? It currently has a bolt through it, but it is not serving any purpose that I can see. Mystery #1 will lie inside the metal plates of the upper section, I'm rather lost on its purpose.

[www.sailmfg.com]

Please nevermind the PO's interesting varnish job, its on the neverending list of things to take care of.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 04:39AM by DaleWray.
August 31, 2011 04:22AM
I seem to remember it being hole #2, and I don't remember a bolt being in there. I also seem to remember that the line somehow fed into the wood from the side (top?) through an internal slot or hole drilled into in the edge of the wood, and the knot that was tied and pressed into this hole anchored the line into the rudder.

Do you see any holes on the edge?

Mystery hole #1 also looks very familiar, but I cannot remember what it was.

Let's hope somebody else can take theirs apart and tell us!

Paul

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2011 04:23AM by Paul.
August 31, 2011 04:43AM
Paul - awesome thanks!
I see the route the line will take form the lower section and through the upper to the cleat. I went and looked for a hole in the trailing edge, and didn't see anything. I did note, on the side opposite from the pic, there is a wear pattern above and out from the bolt in Mystery #2, as if a line was there for a long time =)
August 31, 2011 04:57PM
Glad to see you picked up an MFG19; I've got a Bandit 17 up in Indianapolis. I'd like to see your boat sometime; it's just a little larger than mine, but the cabin is much bigger. Do you sail on Monroe? I've been going out on Eagle Creek (west side of Indy) and plan on going out on Geist soon...

I'm not surprised that you're having a little rudder trouble; from what I've seen of MFG's boat designs, the rudders are a little weak. Mine's been repaired, rebuilt, and I'm still working on it a little...

Dave
August 31, 2011 06:27PM
Hi Dave!
We sail on Lake Lemon, its a smaller reservoir, so not as busy and smaller powerboat wakes than you'll find on Monroe. I'll send you a pm about visiting.
September 01, 2011 04:00AM
While you have it all apart, take lots of pictures Dale. Let's get this documented. I'll post them in the MFG19 section of the site.

I'm still thinking about the other mystery hole. My brain must be getting cobwebs as I get older.

Paul
September 01, 2011 06:13PM
Paul,
It will not be the prettiest repair ever seen, but I'm not after super performance here. I'll put some kind of documentation together ater I get it finished!
September 19, 2011 03:12PM
Yesterday it split again, the waterproof glue failed. I'm looking at having a new one made over the winter =(
September 19, 2011 09:42PM
You might try gluing and then coating with WestSystem epoxy. I didi this 3 years ago and my rudder is still holding strong.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login