Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG Whip

Posted by rlenahan 
Re: MFG Whip
August 11, 2007 05:25AM
Karl,

You and Tom Gillard, from this site, have a lot in common. He is a woodworker and a Whip racer.

I am surprised that your sail number is 137. I was told that the sail number was like the serial number of a sailboat and only 123 Whips were made.

Attached is a picture of a wooden replica of a Whip that Tom made for me last year. It is about 15 inches tall.

The picture does not do it justice because I had to reduce the size to be able to upload the picture.

Greg
August 16, 2007 08:40PM

Hi Karl,

Here's a photo of the centerboard trunk cap. Simply made to fit in the hole and plug it up. Some self-stick window insulation on the sides to seal a little better. This was a quick job, I plan to make a better one when I find time.
It worked great!

Regards,

Terry

August 05, 2008 06:14AM
Just got mine from freecycle.org.
Have not taken the sails out yet to get number.
Took a year to register the trailer!
Need to know the make up of the area under the mast socket. There is a piece of plywood under there and I assume there shouls be a support post of some sort there.
Also in the forward section of the forward hatch is another piec of plywood at the keel area which appeared to have a post up to the hatch. The forward deck is sagging a bit, but otherwise the boat is relatively solid.

Any pictures of a properly done boat or one that is improved would be appreciated.

TechMan "@" netstep.net
August 18, 2008 06:34PM
Hey guys,
Just found this excellent forum this past weekend. I have owned a WHIP since 1985,purchased in CT, I now sail it on the Chesapeake in Hampton Va. It was made in 74 with US 18 on the sail. I have sailed it recreationally until now. My son races C420s in high school and some summer regattas, but has been interested in racing our Whip. Glad to hear the whip is already registered with US sailing and that the Boat Specs have been posted on this site. I am interested in seeing the reach setup, especially information on how the tach lines work, the block design and what I think is called the sprint pole I saw in one of the pictures.

Tim
September 15, 2008 02:18AM
Pulled out the sails today. #US30.
Does anyone have a method for raising the mast by one person? Tried today, close, but not quite.
Also the stays for the main sail are missing. What is their construction?
Main sail had the number, other sails were labeled Genoa and Jib.
May 11, 2009 01:29PM
Hi Everyone,

I've had a Whip sitting in my barn for over 15 years. Someone gave it to me back on the mid 90's. I just got it out yesterday on the trailer I got for it a few weeks ago and am going to begin redoing it. Hull is scratched and there are some topside gelcoat issues. Other than those things, it seems fine to me.

None of that is a problem. I've rebuilt many boats. Sad how so many people get boats only to abandon them after a long period of neglect.

I need sails. Bacon does not have any, and I'd like something original/close to original. Anyone have any ideas/sources? I am lookin to keep the price down, so used will work best.

I do not know what hull ID# I've got. Someone has put a sloppy mess of paint on the transom and it is impossible to read.

I appreciate any help.

-Bob
May 11, 2009 03:17PM
I have my original Main sail. I had a new one made and don't use it. You can borrow it to have a copy made. You will need to return it.
I can give you dimensions for the two jibs. A compent sail maker should be able to go from there.
I will need your address and information.
I do have a paypal account so that you can pay for shipping. I presume that you are not in any big hurry.
Not sure what you will do for numbers. I guess leave them blank till you find out for sure.
you can contact me
karl@karlswoodwork.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login