Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG Whip

Posted by rlenahan 
MFG Whip
August 21, 2006 04:11AM
I recently purchased a Whip (manuafactured in March 1974) -- with great sails and most of the rigging. I am interested in anyone who has any information about this little boat. I especially need help with how to rig the center board.

I understand that there weren't too many of these made, so any heop would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Richard
Re: MFG Whip
August 22, 2006 03:38AM
Richard,

I have a Whip and can send some info. Email me your address. I think 123 Whips were made, mine is #90.

The center board should be strait forward if it is all intact. You should have a cleat on the Port side of the trunk near the traveler to tie the center board line to.

Send me some pictures if you can.

Greg
August 22, 2006 03:47PM
Greg --

That's great -- thanks for responding. I'll get some pictures to you via email, probably this weekend.

I think there is supposed to be a spring-loaded center board pin that it pivots on - is that right? If so, I'll need to figure out how I can get one. My e-mail address is rlenahan at bellsouth dot net. Let me know if you need anything else.
I'm hungry for any information you can provide. How can you tell your's is #90?

Again, thanks much -- look forward to your reply.

Richard

<<Note: Paul went in and modified Richard's post to make the email address more obsure in case any search engines are watching. No sense publishing his address for spammers. This way, only legitimate readers will know how to contact Richard. >>

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2006 04:07AM by Paul.
August 24, 2006 04:03AM
The center board pivots on a stainless steel pin and bushing that is in the trunk near the center board gasket. Their is no spring-loaded anything for the center board. Get under the boat and pull the rubber back and look. If the parts are missing, I will try to sketch what I have.

I need your snail mail address to send the Whip info. Also, my main sail has 90 on it. I was told that the sail # like the serial number. What sail # do you have? Where do you live?

Greg

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/24/2006 04:08AM by greg15626.
August 24, 2006 05:33AM
OK, guys, given that we have three Whip owners now (lucky guys) I have finally gone ahead and updated the Whip section of the website with information that Greg and Tom sent me a while back. If you guys find any more useful information that I can scan and post, drop me an email and I'll give you my mailing address.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
August 25, 2006 02:06PM
Hi,
August 25, 2006 02:09PM
HI,
I just happened to have a picture that shows a little bit what Greg was talking aobut. Follow the line from the centerboard as it goes into the mast step area, it goes around a fairlead and come out to the cleat on the port side of the cockpit bulkhead.

Hope this helps,

Tom

Have you sailed the boat yet?
August 26, 2006 09:48PM
Hi -

I'm #96! No I haven't sailed it yet, but I am trying to get launch it next weekend (Labor Day). I live in Atlanta GA, but we have a place on Lake Hartwell on the GA-SC border.

I think there are only two things I need to do to get it in the water:

1) I need to fix the centerboard -- it looks exactly like the picuture you sent, Tom -- thanks. The centerboard is not in the boat, though. I see the hole through the centerboard where the stainless steel pin goes, and I have a bushing that fits inside the whole, but no pin. Under the boat, in the slot where the centerboard goes right under the gasket, I can see two triangle shaped pieces of metal with a smale hole in each, where it looks like the pin goes.

I'll need to figure out how to rig up something for the pin and figure out how to get it in there.

2) I'm missing the head stay, if that's the right term for it -- the stay that goes from the bow to the top of the mast. The local boat store can make me one, but I don't know what length it should be.

Other than that, I should be ready to go. My address is 5573 Brinson Way, Norcross GA, 30092; my phone is 779-855-7166. My wife took the digital camera for the weekend, but I'll get it back next Monday and send along some pictues.

Thanks much. Feel free to go directly to my email if you want.

Richard

August 26, 2006 11:20PM
I just figured out that the stay is in the jib, so I'm really down to the centerboard. What it the pully for above the jib halyard?

If you can FedEx the stuff to me, I'll be happy to send you back a check for it. I (obviously) am in need of information.

Thanks, Richard
August 27, 2006 02:00AM
I just worked through how the centerboard pin needs to be with one of my engineer friends, and I think I can make one from Home Depot parts tomorrow. I'd still love whatever you can send me, and will still happily cover a FedEx bill, but I'm more and more confident that I'll be able to put it in the water next week.

Richard
August 28, 2006 04:44AM
Richard, check your email, I sent you some Whip info.

My center board broke and this is how I fixed it.
Take off the center board gasket. Measure the gap between the triangle shaped metal pieces and then remove them. Weld the bushing to one triangle shaped metal piece and weld a smaller bushing or pin to the other triangle shaped metal piece. Just make sure that the bushing or pin on one side fits into the other and that it will all fit back into the trunk with the center board. When you put it back together put some Blue silicon in each hole and behind the metal pieces. The man that I got my boat from had the pin break on him and he brazed it, then it broke on me, that is why I had mine welded.

What it the pulley for above the jib halyard?
It is for the reacher sail, it is about 55% bigger than the jib. The info I sent (and is now on this website somewhere) will explain the reacher.

Good luck next week and have fun sailing.

Greg
December 11, 2006 05:02AM
Richard,
Did you get your boat fixed this year? If so, how did you like the sailing?
We are about 4 hours apart, I'm north of you...

Post some pictures of you and your boat.

Thanks,

Tom
May 24, 2007 04:02AM
Richard,
How are things in Hot-lanta? How goes the boat repairs?
Let Greg and myself know how you are doing...we want to know where another whip is. We had a class meeting last Fall when Greg came to Chattanooga for business.

Hope to hear from you.

Fair winds,

Tom
May 26, 2007 04:30AM

Well, you folks can count me in as Whip # 4. I'm a little farther north,

Rhode Island.

Just bought mine today, looks like all the hardware is there, including the trapeeze. From reading this forum I guess I don't have a centerboard gasket. The centerboard sits pretty tight in the well, so it may be somewhat warped, but I'll look at that tommorrow, as well as the centerboard pin setup.

The sails are in good shape except dirty. I found no markings on the hull as to boat #, is there a # on the sail?

I'm thinking this boat is going to be a screamer. Anyone have any Whip sailing stories?

I'm including a pic from today, getting ready to move it in the backyard.

Regards,

Terry
May 26, 2007 04:21PM
Terry,
Great news that another Whip has been found and will be sailed soon. The serial # is on the back right corner of the transom. It doesn't give a hull number per say, but you can get the year built from it, last two digits. We have been using the number on the sail to get the geneology straight.

It is a fast boat! Also there is a reason there is a reef point in this sail...when the wind gets up, the sail should come down some...

Take care and keep us posted,

Tom in TN
May 27, 2007 04:26AM
Welcome Terry,

How many sails did you get with your boat? Tom and I put some info on this site about Whips, you can find it here,
[www.sailmfg.com]

If you have any questions or just want to chat, post here.

Greg
May 27, 2007 06:50AM

Thanks Greg, a friend who found me this boat also found your Whip website, so I got a better look at it from the start.

I did get all three sails. They're dirty but I'm going to try to wash them tommorrow.

Do any of you have the Reacher sail? What's your experience(s) with that?

On another note, it was a hot day (89) up here today, my girl and I got to borrow a friend's Force Five for a jaunt out into Narragansett Bay. Winds were anywhere from 8 to 13 knotts, gusty, and running W to SW and back whenever I tacked. Random shifting. Great boat, but I think it's a single-hander.

This is a great bay to sail in, especially late August to mid October. During that time is some of the best consistantly strong S and SW winds.
Thats also why the New York Yacht Club chose to make Newport, RI the venue for the America's Cup.

Regards,

Terry
May 28, 2007 03:36AM
Terry,

I have a reacher sail and so does Tom. I found it much easier to tack if you have a furling drum on it. You will find out that the jib and the reacher are too close to pull the reacher between it and the jib. You can try the reacher sheet on the outside of the reacher but it is hard to tack that way also. I don’t use the reacher when I sail by myself. I like to sail with the jib and main on one side and the reacher on the other.

Greg
May 28, 2007 08:27AM

"" The serial # is on the back right corner of the transom. It doesn't give a hull number per say, but you can get the year built from it, last two digits. We have been using the number on the sail to get the geneology straight.""

I guess that would make me US 35.

Terry

June 02, 2007 01:47AM
Three sails? Man, I only got two (no reacher), and no trapeeze -- now I know I got ripped off ($100.00 for the boat, sails, and trailer) -- I'm asking for my money back!!!

Thanks for copying me in (as Whip #3) -- feel free to reply to my email (rlenahan@bellsouth.net), as that's a little easier for me.

I only got it into the water twice a the end of last summer -- second time I busted the handle off the rudder and had to steer with my knees sitting backward for about three miles (luckily I had a friend with me).

Great to hear from you -- I'll let you know what happens next time...
Re: MFG Whip Centerboard
June 02, 2007 07:02AM

After reading the various posts here about centerboards, I figured I should pull mine and inspect it before it ever sees the water.

The stainless pin had big gouge marks and the centerboard hole was gouged out as well.

My remedy? Hacksaw time. Make a new stainless roll pin from a 1/2" stainless bolt. Get two nylon spacers 1"OD,...1/2" ID,....1/4" HEIGHT. Bore out the centerboard hole to 1", carefully check for any rot near that (git rot can reinforce it- West marine), and reassemble.

More pix as the project goes.

Regards,

Terry
July 06, 2007 08:01AM

Howdy all,

As it turns out the only hardware that I'm missing is the rubber centerboard trunk gasket. I have removed the trapeeze rigs as I have no intention of using them. The hiking straps are beat so I'm looking for replacement straps.

I pulled and repaired the centerboard ( see page #2), including some glass work and installation of nylon spacers, so I'll never have to pull it again!

Below is a pic of the deck. Maybe this can make it into the pic site here for other folks.

Regards,

Terry

July 06, 2007 02:08PM
Excellent update Terry. Thanks for sharing. I will indeed include your hull picture the next time I make a site update (which should be soon now).

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
July 23, 2007 02:56AM

Hey Guys,

Finally got the Whip out for a test run two weeks ago. Sailed great except for the water pouring out of the centerboard trunk! I need to make a bottom trunk gasket obviously.
Can anyone tell me what material it is made out of? Thickness? A picture would also be a great help if anyone could snap one for me. (Terry9 at cox dot com).

I hope to race this boat in the local regatta by the end of the summer. The class is called Small Handicap, and includes any boats not having their own class from 15 1/2 to 18 feet. I think the Whip will smoke 'em!

I got some pretty good pictures that I'll try to upload for the Whip gallery as soon as I can get to it.

Regards,

Terry
July 23, 2007 04:24AM
Oops!

My E-address is Terry9 at cox dot net.

Regards,

Terry
August 08, 2007 05:08AM
Some more MFG Whip Information.
I have returned to racing as of 1999. I have held 1st place at Pinchot State park since then. We use the PHRF handicap system. The Whip is a 93.2 D-pn. I usually single hand the Whip, I have used my Reacher once racing , and have no one to trapeeze. This in part to the shortness of our course. Small Lake.
I have agreed to use the Bucaneer handicap this year, so racing can be more fair to the Lasers, Laser 2's, and JY-15's.
We will be requesting Us Sailing to change the handicap to an 87.
Check out www.pinchotsailing.com.
I use a Bucaneer 18 centerboard gasket. purchased at Annapolis performance sailing. They have an online store. It leaks and I have to redo it perodically.
I get leackage between the inner and outer hull.

Whip sailors Speak now or forever hold your peace!
I have sailed my Whip since 1983. I think it is a 1975. Your Brouchere that is a 1979 lists a Whip, The hull has seat though and looks like a spinaker launching chute, so MFG was selling them for at least four years after mine was made. I have been told that there are quite a few in Argentina.
I hold a USCG Master to 50 ton inland License, and am a certified US Sailing Small Boat instructor. I sail ok.
I tried to post this on your forum, but don't think it went.
Regards
Karl Marchut
August 09, 2007 03:13AM
Hi Karl, and welcome.

That makes 5 Whip owners now heard from.

After my last post about shipping water thru the centerboard trunk(and some in the hull), I got busy and sealed all the old centerboard gasket holes, and made a simple T-shaped top gasket out of wood to fit in the TOP of the centerboard trunk.
Easily removed should the centerboard pop up due to hitting ground, it worked perfect no matter how big the waves. (Salt water sailing here in RI). Also, no water in the hull this time!

I'm on the road for work right now, but looking forward to getting home and trying out the Reacher this time. (hoping for some good 15 knot breezes as well)

Regards,

Terry
August 09, 2007 03:59AM
Welcome Karl,

My Whip was built in 1974 and I have been sailing it since 1999. My inner hull stays dry now. When I first got the boat it leaked a little. I removed and reinstalled the bailers with blue silicon. I also remove each screw from the centerboard gasket and reinstalled them with blue silicon.

I live East of Pittsburgh, not too far from you. Maybe we could meet at Raystown Lake someday. What sail number do you have?

Greg

August 09, 2007 05:04AM
Hi and thanks for the welcome.
I generally use West Marine Silicone calk and like you remove one screw at a time. Some years when I pull the whole gasket I use bamboo skewers then bed the calk then put in one screw at a time. We just had a welcome to sail day, and took 192 people out for rides. I was overloaded a lot. The person that owned the boat before me broke off a screw that holds the centerboard bracket, then put one in alongside. I have since fished it out, but am willing to put up with wet feet rather than continually work it.
At any rate it is a small anoyance. I replaced the bailers long ago with the large ones. Probably need new gaskets there also.
Perhaps you might come on in and race with us at Pinchot.Gifford Pinchot State Park. Check out our site.
[www.pinchotsailing.com]
Our race dates are listed
We are about 6 miles south of the PA Turnpike off route 83.
I actually moor my boat there for the season. I dry slip it so it is only in the water when racing. Oh, I am US 137 made in 1975.
I also own a Banshee that I slip there as well. Gotta have something for my old age when I can no longer walk the dog. Ha ha.

I will miss the August 18th race as I am leaving for France on Monday for a week and a half.
When not Racing I am usually sailing our 27 Hunter on the Chesapeake. Have over 3000 Nautical miles on that. Hence the Captains license. This will one of the few weekends from April 15 thru Dec 1 that I am not sailing. We get a few more weekends to sail there. Usually go to the Annapolis Sailboat Show, The Hunter is crowed but we usually sail down from Middle River where we moor that. It is a six or 12 hour sail depending on the wind.

We will get our Whips together some day, not sure when.
My email address is Karl@karlswoodwork.com
You might check out karlswoodwork.com
Regards Karl
August 10, 2007 01:45PM
Terry
Do you have any photos of the T shaped bracket? Installed would be good.
Thanks
Karl
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login