Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Hardware Items for Whip

Posted by arknoah 
Hardware Items for Whip
August 20, 2010 02:28PM
Sometime before our first time out on the water, we lost the piece (I don't know all the appropriate terms yet, so bear with me) which attaches the boom to the mast. The mast has a 5/8 inch track on which this little piece rides. The end of the boom, which has a square unit on it, goes inside this little missing piece and is attached with a quick release pin -- you know, the kind where you press on a little button on the end to release or insert it. Anyway, this little piece is somewhere between our house and the Patuxent River, never to be seen again, and of course, West Marine has no idea what I'm talking about.

Does anybody know what I mean, and further, have an idea where I might find or secure this little piece of hardware? I would appreciate any suggestions.

Thanks!

F. J.
Re: Hardware Items for Whip
August 20, 2010 02:51PM
The piece might be the gooseneck, but I'm now sure.
August 20, 2010 05:07PM
I think that is the gooseneck; it sounds like it probably looks a lot like mine (Bandit 17):

[www.sailmfg.com]

I would really look hard for it. I'd guess it may be pretty tough to find a replacement, but a good sailing shop or metal shop could probably build one for you...
August 21, 2010 03:06AM
Yep. That's the part. I do think some companies make items like this -- I found a couple online today -- and I called a place called Chesapeake Rigging in Annapolis that is supposed to be able to find all kinds of stuff. I will look really carefully tomorrow after soccer, though I'm not hopeful. I'll also be going to a local marina that is known to have lots of items -- maybe I'll find something similar enough there.

If I do find either the original piece, or find a replacement, I'm going to make sure I have a spare.
August 21, 2010 05:23AM
I think spare hardware is a great idea. My boat didn't have any spares for anything when I got it, so I got a few things just to be safe. It takes me an hour to get to the water and then another 1/2 hour to rig the boat, so I don't want to drop some little shackle or something overboard and have to come back. I also thought I might lose something while actually sailing, so I take along a little "spare hardware kit" when I go out...

Dave
August 22, 2010 05:18AM
I've actually been assembling a little tool box with spare shackles, drain plugs, clevis pins, etc. for the boat in the last couple of days. We actually had to use a spare when we sailed on Monday, and fortunately, the precious owner had a spare shackle in the boat. Now, I'm making sure I have my own spares.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login