Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG Whip Information

Posted by McGuire.T 
MFG Whip Information
May 25, 2011 04:09PM
Recently my neighbor asked if I would help restore a 16 foot day-sailor, the thing is in pretty rough shape, broken mast, rudder requires rebuilding basically years of neglect. However, the first step we have to do is positively identify the thing. After surfing around the net I believe we have a MFG Whip, however, the photos on the net do not show a clear deck shot. I was hoping someone could direct me to a site with more Whip Info. Thank
Re: MFG Whip Information
May 25, 2011 08:24PM
No other site but this one. Take pictures & post them here. Someone will be able to tell you what you have. There should also be a hull number on the transom.
May 27, 2011 01:46AM
Some times I'm just road kill on the information super highway
Ok, I'm new to this site, how do I go about up loading photos?
My Hull number is MFG00131M74F-6340.
Thanks for the Help.
Joe
May 27, 2011 03:09PM
Here's a link to a previous post.

[www.sailmfg.com]

Joe
Sidewinder #327
May 27, 2011 03:25PM
Go in to the control center and click edit my files. From there you can upload your photos. Once the file is uploaded and you want to place it in a post, right click on the mouse and select copy short cut then paste it in the post. This might all change after the update. There is also a thread that Joe started that might explain it better then I did.

I have a Sidewinder and my Hull number is MFG01409M731-5230. If we could get more people to post there numbers on what ever boat they have we might be able to decode them.
May 27, 2011 03:27PM
Joe beat me to it.
May 27, 2011 05:44PM
Thanks for all the help, please find below links to photos of the boat we are trying to identify. Any information at this point would be greatly appreciated, do to the fact we have none to start with.
The one thing we know is we need a mast; any ideas in that department would also be greatly appreciated.
Once again thanks for helping me along the information superhighway

[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
May 27, 2011 06:20PM
That is a Whip.
Here is a link that Joe had found: [www.dwyermast.com]
They might be able to help you.
cas
May 28, 2011 05:02AM
I have a 74 Whip with number MFGA0016M74G. This is a standard HIN that is described at this web site

[www.boatsafe.com]

This decodes as
Manufacturer: MFG
Hull Serial Number: A0016
Year: 1974
Month: Feb

The sail number is 33 which doesn't match the hull number of 16. I don't know if the numbers are supposed to match. I was assuming that the "A" might have identified the boat model. My hull does not have any other extra numbers that you guys are posting after a dash.

The picture of your sail has the Whip logo on it. But your Serial Number of "00131" contradicts my assumption about the "A" being a model indicator if you have a Whip. Your number says the hull was built a month before mine (Jan), but the number is 131 versus my 16.

I'll have to uncover the boat and take some pictures to compare with yours.

CAS
May 28, 2011 12:03PM
Thank for the response.
Our sail number is #20,
We are still under going the process of determining if it’s worth dumping money in to this project.
Today we plan on getting it off the trailer in order to get a good look at the bottom.
What we have determine to this point, this boat suffered some traumatic event, (probably a knock-down or she went turtle) in any event she lost 6ft from the bottom of her mast. Then the previous owner piled what was left of the boat in to the cockpit and let it sit out in the elements for what appears to be many years.
Any Photos you would care to pass along of your Whip would greatly help in determining the fate of our Whip. We are most interested in rigging and cockpit lay-out and hardware.
Once again thank for the help.
cas
May 29, 2011 02:39AM
First, a caveat. I bought this boat a couple months ago and it's been under cover ever since. I've been waiting until my evening classes were done before allowing myself permission to mess around with it. So I don't know a lot about it yet. You mentioned rigging details. Have you seen the rigging instructions at: [www.sailmfg.com] I can take some more pictures of the mast if you need it. Here are some to get started with. Also a request. Do you have a boom? The seller told me the goose neck was missing when I bought it. Can you take a photo of it, so I can get an idea of what type to look for? If you want a photo of something in particular, let me know.

regards,
cas

[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
May 29, 2011 04:08AM
Looking at the photos you provide looks like your boats in great shape.
Yes, I have viewed the rigging instructions, does not help us that much. As far as our rigging goes, our biggest problem is we are missing the lower part of the mast (from the spreaders down) as well as a lot of the small hardware. We are trying to come up with another mast that we can make work, any ideas of another off the shelf mast that would work? We are open to all suggestions at this point.
Here are some photos of our boom hope they help.
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
cas
May 30, 2011 06:20PM
Thanks for the boom pics. Well, yesterday, I tried several times to raise the mast on the boat. First I wanted to get a feel for how everything goes together in the safety of my back yard. Second, I wanted to take some close up pics of the mast hardware in action. After several bruises ending with a head thumping, I've come to the conclusion that some sort of mast tabernacle or hinge will have to be installed before I take this thing down to the boat ramp. As someone at the trailer sailor forum mentioned, the centerboard will cause a problem with a simple tabernacle install. I've seen two solutions for this so far,

[bbs.trailersailor.com]

and

[www.youtube.com]

cas
cas
May 30, 2011 07:26PM
From taking a rough measurement of my mast, I get about 2.5 inches by 3 inches and 26 feet and 7 inches length. Based on this, I would probably be looking at Dwyer mast DM-4 or DM-5. Note however, that the shape is not the same. The Whip mast is shaped more like DM-368 or 400. If building a complete new spar, shape probably isn't much of a factor. The only way I know of to get an accurate weight would be to strip all the lines and then use bathroom scale to get weight of (me+spar) - me. I'm not planning to strip the mast any time soon. However, I can still do the weight calculation and we can try to estimate the weight of hardware to subtract out. Let me know if you are interested in this latter weight measurement.

cas
May 31, 2011 01:53AM
I am wondering how much difference your whip mast is from that of my sidewinder. The measurements are almost the same, the rigging and height of the mast are different, but I wonder if the profile is the same. Here is a pic of the end profile of my mast.

[www.sailmfg.com]

Also, My sail number 1273 does not match the hull numbers. I am also thinking that the fourth and the twelfth characters are letters.

Which would make mine MFGO1409M73I-5230. Still need more HIN#s to see a pattern. Really curious as to why cas's boat doesn't have the other numbers and why the fourth character changes from O to A. I was hoping that the fouth through eighth charecters just signified that it was number ##### built that year and the numbers after HIN was the model. The sail numbers, I am thinking, signify that is the number #### built of that Hull type. So, McGuire.T would have the 20th Whip built and cas would have the 33rd one. Joe would have the 327th Sidewinder built and I the 1273rd one.
cas
May 31, 2011 02:12AM
Are the extra digits on the transom? My number is on the upper right corner of transom. There is not enough space to include more digits without line wrapping.
May 31, 2011 02:41AM
Yep, here is a pic.

[www.sailmfg.com]

Also, 1974 was the first production year for the Whip, and from what I have read here and on the net only 120 were built. It wouldn't be to far fetched to say 1974 was the only year it was built. I am also starting to think the 4th HIN character may very well be the production plant where it was built.
cas
May 31, 2011 04:45AM
McGuire, your first three pictures of the boat shows what appears to be a wooden block, which I recently learned is called a mast partner, at deck level where the mast passed through. Another picture of a Whip shows something similar

I don't have that with my boat. That might explain why it found it impossible to keep the mast upright long enough to secure it. There is also some sort of track in this picture which holds the mast bottom. Mine only has a metal plate with square hole. However, I see evidence of wear on the mast bottom where it used to slide on a track. Could you take a close up picture of the mast partner with a ruler or tape measure in the shot for scale? I'm going to need to make something to match.

Thanks,
cas
May 31, 2011 12:13PM
CAS, thanks for the offer to go through all the trouble of weighting your mast. However, I think we are resigned to the fact our rigging is shot; broken mast, broken spreaders, standing rigging frayed not to mention all the missing hardware. We think our best bet is to find a derelict Lightning, or Hobe and grab the mast rigging and sail off of it.
May 31, 2011 12:17PM
I hope this is the information you were looking for.
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
If you have a chance could I have some photos take inside the fwd hatch? The last owner of this boat has made some extensive modifications; unfortunately the modifications are now in disrepair and require replacement. I’m most interested in the area around the mast well. Thanks

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/31/2011 11:01PM by McGuire.T.
cas
June 01, 2011 03:06AM
That is exactly what I needed. Thanks. My boat does not have that wood piece (mast partner) at all. Without it, it is impossible for me to keep the mast stable long enough to secure it. I'll have to fabricate a replacement.

Here are a few pics that I quickly took in the fading light, after work today. Use these as a starting point and let me know where to focus more attention for additional shots. I might be tempted to try out the video mode of this camera, this weekend, and see if that works out better.

[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]

While looking inside, I noticed at least one hull stiffener tube that is cracked and needs reinforcement. Since I don't have a garage, that will have to wait for the fall weather.

cas
August 31, 2012 11:05PM
I am pleased to see these pictures of the whip. I just bought my 1975 Whip the 25th of August 2012. My sail number US130 . My boat is in excellent condition for it's age. I do need to fix my centerboard pivot pin and want to add a tabernacle step up for the mast. I've read there were only 123 Whips made and the sail # indicates what boat you have. my sail is the original sail I'm told, so 130 kinda confuses me. I feel extremely privileged to own a boat that has ties to the 1953 Corvette, hence the name I have chosen " Ms WetVette" I live next to Lake Pepin in MN which is well known for it's winds and bluffs and sailing. It is nice to have found this site of other Whip owners.

[www.sailmfg.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2012 11:23PM by wetvette.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login