Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Broken MastHead on my Bandit 15

Posted by MightyMouse 
Broken MastHead on my Bandit 15
September 05, 2010 02:03PM
Hi ... I broke the masthead on my 15 yesterday when I tipped over near some sholes. It looks like it is a cast aluminum fitting. Does anyone know if this can be repaired (welded) or replaced? Thanks for your feedback!

Don Vogler
Jaffrey, NH 03452
Bandit 15 #21
Joe
Re: Broken MastHead on my Bandit 15
September 05, 2010 03:42PM
Cast is pretty hard to repair(weld). It usually ends up blowing out the good material. Is it possible to remove the part for someone to recast or maybe machine one from a block of aluminum? This would be more expensive, but stronger in the long run.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
September 05, 2010 11:11PM
Thanks Joe ...

I will check out both options and let you know what I find out. Love this boat and can't wait to get her back out sailing!

Don
Bandit 15 #21
Joe
September 06, 2010 06:19AM
I found this link tonight, not sure it can be adapted to your needs.

[www.dwyermast.com]

Joe
Sidewinder #327
September 06, 2010 02:30PM
Thanks Joe!

I spoke with an aluminum welding expert that has built a number of trailers for my wife's company. He concurred with your original comment about the loss of material trying to permanently weld the two cast halves of the MastHead back togehter ... but ... thinks that he can tack weld the broken halves of the MastHead ... then strap/weld both sides with 1/4" thick x 1' wide aluminum plate to give it the permanent strength it needs to offset the downward halyard forces. He will pilot hole the new straps to accomodate the bolts for the sheaves. The new sheave bolt holes will help carry the load of the downward halyard force. We are planning to replace those nasty old ones with brass bearing sheaves too. The old ones were frozen in the MastHead (prolly contributed to the aging/weakening of the MaastHead in the first place).

I will take some before and after repair photos and put them up on the blog site for everyone's future benefit. These old boats are addicting aren't they? <laffin>

Don
Bandit 15 #21
Joe
September 06, 2010 04:07PM
Sounds good Don, I figured a "metal" guy could help you figure out a solution.
My boat might be more addicting if I ever got it in the water.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login