Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

One more sidewinder rebuild...or do I sell for parts

Posted by psaeva 
One more sidewinder rebuild...or do I sell for parts
August 22, 2010 03:39AM
All,
I just acquired a Sidewinder and have not decided on what to do with it. The sails are in good shape along with the original rudder. Needs a centerboard, but according to the research I have done, so does everyone else. It has two holes in the hull, but nothing I cant fix with time. If anyone is interested in the sails, mast, rudder, etc. My decision might be an easy one. I also have a pile of rigging, havent untangled it yet to see what is there.

thoughts, ideas, offers?

Patrick
psaeva01@rochester.rr.com
Joe
Re: One more sidewinder rebuild...or do I sell for parts
August 22, 2010 07:15PM
Come on Patrick, it can't be worst than what I started with. You should be able to get a center board cut at a local metal supply house. Then shape it yourself with a grinder.
Just look at what I started with.(Sidewinder Rebuild by Joe) It's been alot of work, but I'm learning repairs for when I get my next boat.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
October 11, 2010 05:36PM
I am interested in a jib sail for a Sidewider. If it is available for sale and is in good or better shape then Email me please.
Curtvk@live.com

Thank you..

Curt V.K. from SW Michigan
Sidewinder
pk
April 04, 2011 07:28PM
Rebuild it or go custom!!! The Sidewinder has always been faster than most anything else out there of this size...unless you spend mega bucks on a new design (or go to a cat) but why??? Note: Cats can't go on a fire-hose plane like a Sidewinder. Stock or custom its a great boat!

Now on my 3rd Sidewinder rebuild. This time I will get a little crazy with a Hobie 14 main sail squared at the mast head and a slightly larger jib cut down from an old Star. I have a stronger boom and a fixed goose neck. A lever vang will be used to try to keep the sail shape. Center pull Harken double blocks with cam cleat. Center-line mounted hiking strap. I've also been thinking about a way to add a trap.

(Parts from lots of other boats.)

The Hobie 14 Main will be about 110 sq ft. The Jib I expect to be about 40 to 45 sq ft.

Here is a picture of the 2nd rebuild.

Hope to see you on the water.

pk
Joe
April 07, 2011 01:50AM
Nice work PK, you need to post more pics for details. I'm itchin to get mine up and runnin'

Joe
Sidewinder #327
pk
April 23, 2011 05:18PM
Just posted some pictures of my Sidewinder. The pictures are 10 years ago in Tampa Bay FL and about 7 years ago in the bay off of Chincoteaque Island VA. These pictures are after my second rebuild. The boat needs some touch up to the paint (2 part epoxy) and the new sails. We will be working on the new sails and the other updates in the next few weeks. Note the epoxy painted rudder and dagger. It does make a difference! Spars and alloy parts are flat black outboard paint and the rub rail is "Taco" vinyl with metal clips.

The dagger/center board gasket was replaced about three years ago and is in great shape.

Let me know if you can't see the pictures.

PK
Joe
April 27, 2011 02:18AM
Hey PK,
I don't see any of the pics.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
pk
April 30, 2011 09:05AM
Try this link. I couldn't get the pictures to post to this forum, so I sent them to Photo Bucket.

[photobucket.com]

Pk
pk
May 08, 2011 04:41AM
Sidewinder rebuild.

Main sail has been cut down (Hobie 14sail) now will have a flat top and be fully battened. The new Jib will need a little re-working once it arrives. Sail area should be around 135sq ft when done. Jib sheets will be rigged with one continuous line in a loop like a Hobie Jib with two lightweight blocks on the clew. A new roller furling system was built. Spars have been cleaned, sanded and repainted with satin black.

Minor fiberglass repair to the cockpit where the seat sides meet the hull is finished. The hull and deck need a new coat of epoxy pettit white. All Harken blocks are cleaned and the new larger center swivel and cam cleat needs to be installed. All new sheets and a new halyard will be installed.

Have to decide what type of cleat will be used for the lever vang and will it be single or double position. The downhaul will have a small block for more leverage. The outhaul will use a sliding loop of webbing and also with a small block for leverage.

Still haven't decided if the bow will get a shark's mouth painted on it like the P40's of the Flying Tigers. It might be scary enough when coming at someone on a full plane.

I will post pictures when fully rigged and of the first sail.
Pk
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login