Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sidewinder Hull Support For Trailer

Posted by ttwn0324 
Sidewinder Hull Support For Trailer
July 21, 2010 08:04PM
Hello, I have a 1971 Sidewinder & I'm building a trailer for it. I was interested in what type of hull support most people run. I was planing on building option #3 from the MFG hull support file, found under the general info tab. If so were to place, how many & what about a bottom roller in front & on the back of the trailer?
Joe
Re: Sidewinder Hull Support For Trailer
July 22, 2010 03:21AM
I'm in the same "boat" as you in that I have to rebuild my trailer. I was going to opt for the two bunks in the rear and a v-cradle in the front. If you have rollers it looks like there is a risk of fracturing the hull. You may be able to use them for protection only, but not to rest on full time.
BTW what type/size of axle are you using?

Joe
Sidewinder #327
July 22, 2010 04:14PM
I went with a 2000 Lb torsion axle from Reliable, Track Length of 60", 46 "center to center mounting holes for a 48" frame. I'm a little worried I went to big. From my estimates the trailer will weight in at 500 Lb. The boat, even thou the spec say 175 Lb, will weight in at 280 Lb. So all together, with odd ends throwing in, I'll say between 800-900Lb, Leaving alot of suspension unused. So I'm worried she'll be a bouncing betty, going down the road.
July 23, 2010 05:42AM
Well, my Bandit 17 is about twice as heavy as your boat and you can see my trailer in the picture below:
[www.sailmfg.com]

I have 4 keel rollers and two bunks. By the way, since your boat isn't very heavy, I suspect you don't have to get everything just perfect on the trailer. If you use 4 keel rollers like my setup, you'd only have about 75 pounds of weight on each roller, so I don' think that would be hard on the hull at all. However, I like bunks; the more you spread the weight out, the easier it is on the hull.

Dave
Joe
July 24, 2010 01:23AM
Dave Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Well, my Bandit 17 is about twice as heavy as your
> boat and you can see my trailer in the picture
> below:
> [www.sailmfg.com],
> filename=Rolling+rigging.jpg
>
> I have 4 keel rollers and two bunks. By the way,
> since your boat isn't very heavy, I suspect you
> don't have to get everything just perfect on the
> trailer. If you use 4 keel rollers like my setup,
> you'd only have about 75 pounds of weight on each
> roller, so I don' think that would be hard on the
> hull at all. However, I like bunks; the more you
> spread the weight out, the easier it is on the
> hull.
>
> Dave

The only problem I see with sitting on rollers is when the boat is secured to the trailer during transport. Most any ratchet straps could easily apply enough force to damage the hull. Sidewinder hulls are only about 3/16 thick. My vote is for bunks.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
August 05, 2010 05:13AM
Hey, if your boat is only 3/16" fiberglass, I think Joe's right - bunks are definitely the way to go. Rollers would probably be fine if you just let it sit there, but you've got to secure it for hauling some way.

I also agree that a ratchet-type safety strap can easily damage your boat if you overdo it. I can deform my Bandit's hull if I crank mine down too hard, so I stop just before that point. Also, I loosen the strap when it's just sitting on the trailer; I only have it tightened down when I'm actually hauling it around.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login