Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG 19 Rudder

Posted by stinsonsteve 
MFG 19 Rudder
July 15, 2010 07:32PM
Hello All!

I'm in the process of bringing a friend's MFG 19 back to life and one thing I'm missing is the rudder. I'm in western upstate NY and am looking one in any condition or just a pattern. If someone local has one I could pattern, that would work, too!

Thanks!

Steve
Byron, NY
Re: MFG 19 Rudder
July 19, 2010 02:31AM
Steve,

I purchased an MFG 19 last year and it too, had no rudder. I posted the same question here and got loads of responses which you can probably find by scrolling to last fall on this forum.
What I ended up doing was this...

I built my own using 1" oak boards which I shaped to make the portion that the pins hook to the transom, I then purchased a set of rudders from a Hobie Cat on Ebay, which I fastened between the oak. I then purchased a rudder, shorter than the original which comes with most MFG's.
It was a lot of work, but came out very well with the rudder being nearly as low as the bottom of the keel and adjustable as well.

If you like I can see if I can take a picture and send it here, I know people in the past had problems sending stuff, so I'm not sure if it will work.

Like you, I am still working on mine and hope to have it in the water next summer (2011) it is sea worthy now, but I'm working on the interior and adding loads of extras, both on the boat and trailer.

Hope this helps some,
Tony
Re: MFG 19 Rudder
July 19, 2010 10:58PM
I had to renovate my rudder a few years ago. The original was made of Phillipine mahogony. I took some measurements which I would be happy to forward to you. Feel free to get back to me at rhenry20@neo.rr.com.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login