Advanced

fitting sidewinder mast in a diffreant boat

Posted by mitytuf1 
fitting sidewinder mast in a diffreant boat
May 27, 2010 11:52PM
Hey Yall, I have a onepiece sidewinder mast and Im
trying to build a step of the type used on
the sidewinder the boat Im rigging the mast on is a
1960 sailstar littlebear 11.5 ft any brainstorms ?

Thanks Tom
I'm old, weak and ............
June 22, 2010 02:37AM
...............having an awful time trying to step the 2 piece mast on my Sidewinder. YouTube offers suggestions if you have a 35' boat but nothing I can use. Is it better to step the mast on the trailer or in the water? These may be simple questions but I'm hoping someone answers soon.
Thanks, Mike
Re: I'm old, weak and ............
June 22, 2010 05:52PM
Hi Mike,

I understand. It is not easy and requires strength. You can't "step" the mast on the Sidewinder because you can't hook up the shrouds beforehand, pin the base of the mast in place and then walk (or step) it upright like you can on other boats. The only solution is to hold it upright and insert it into the hole. The shrouds have to be hooked up after the mast is in place.

The only way I would personally attempt it in the water were if the boat were on a sandy shore and you could get a firm footing on the ground. I can't imagine holding this huge heavy pole upright while standing in a boat floating in the water!

The first task is to get the mast upright. For that, you could place against an immovable object (such as a large stone or a curb or even a tree) and walk it upright. Then you need to get it to the boat. Move slow, setting the base of the mast on the ground and take frequent breaks if you need to. The hardest part is then lifting it up high enough to clear the boat and getting it into the hole. I have no suggestions for an easy way to do that.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
Re: I'm old, weak and ............
June 22, 2010 07:33PM
Paul, thanks for your quick response, it is appreciated.
I got the boat 2 years ago. That summer I used it once with no problem. But now, I can’t figure out what/how I did it. Don’t get old. Anyway, I built this little “stop” to hold the mast in place while I try to walk it up. It needs to be fine tuned but it may work. Here are 3 photos. Walking the mastup while on the trailer is nuts. Doing this requires a guy with rubber legs because the trailer bounces like crazy evert step I take. Oh well, it's keeping me out of trouble.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login