Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Introduction and the obligatory questions

Posted by Endo 
Introduction and the obligatory questions
June 23, 2009 07:10PM
First off, hello everyone. Been out of sailing for a few years and am just getting reacquainted with a Sidewinder I recently aquired.

Have a question or two that hopefully aren't to ignorant. First is the center board. Can it be raised/tilted while in the aft position? Or do I need to put it in the forward position to beach? Also the tiller mounts have come loose and are stripped so I have an idea how to fix but want to run it by everyone. I plan on cutting out an access on the inside of the transom and then glass in an aluminum plate that I will be able to drill and tap. What is everyone's opinion on this? I am assuming the hull material is standard fiberglass and epoxy resins will bond?

Other than those issues the little things is a blast and can motivate on such a small amount of wind it is amazing.

Thanks all,

Kyle
Re: Introduction and the obligatory questions
June 24, 2009 03:47AM
I can tell you this much, My father in law and me had the same problem with the motor mount on my 19, we simply glassed a piece of aluminum like you said on the inside and tapped the aluminum plate for the bracket. I could probably jump off my motor when swimming now and that thing won't budge. Also if you do that, a money saver is to get your fiberglass kit from Auto Zone or similar place. West Marine is HIGH PRICED! Also get the fiberglass matting and the epoxy/resin can separate. Don't get the "kit" it's cheaper that way. Good Luck! and hope you get to do some sailing.

Bill
July 15, 2009 06:50AM
Kyle,

I had the same problem with my transom. I cut an access panel and used a steel plate as backing. If I can get my hands on some aluminum I'll change it out. I then put a 4" round port cover over the hole I cut.

-Brad
July 16, 2009 11:43PM
I ended up cutting out the back and glassing in two pieces of aluminium that I had drilled then tapped. Fiberglassed the hole shut and hydroturfed the whole thing. Very solid now and the hydroturf gave it a nice look. Still amazes me why they put plywood in fiberglass...just a given that it will rot.
July 17, 2009 04:58PM
Sounds really good. Tell me about hydroturf. I don't know what it is. I went to their website and could not figure out what it is.

Thanks

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
March 06, 2010 03:32AM
Sorry Paul for being so lax in updating, hydroturf is a foam matting material that is EXTREMELY uv and wear resistant. I will work on getting you some pictures as I am starting on rebuilding this boat. One of the reasons I have been away from the site is this boat is a dream to sail. Any wind and it just goes and always seems to be in trim. Many hours on the lake just cruising. But it is starting to show some wear. Cracks in the fiberglass, soft spots, general wear and tear and possibly even a few attepts to run in wind that I had no business being in....but I can attest that this little thing will stand on its side and kiss the waves with its sail!

Pictures and destruction/reconstruction to follow.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login