Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Portsmouth Number

Posted by Sail55 
Portsmouth Number
June 23, 2009 05:51AM
I've occasionally raced my MFG-19 over the past several years, and the race committee have always asked for the boat's Portsmouth Number. [handicap convention number for racing addicts]

Does anyone know what the MFG-19 Portsmouth Number is or if one was ever assigned?

Thanks for your help.

Ken
Re: Portsmouth Number
June 25, 2009 04:28PM
As far as I have been able to find, no one ever raced the MFG-19 enough to earn a Portsmouth number.

CT (Corrected Time) = ET (Elapsed Time) X 100 / HC (Handicap) This is the formula and requires competition to compute it.

The closest published boat I could find is the Rhodes 19, which has a HC of 101 in light air (Beaufort scale 1) and decreases to 93 at Beaufort 5.

However, the Rhodes has less free board and can draw higher to the wind.
June 30, 2009 03:48AM
Thanks for the input. I've passed this along to the race committee.

Now I just have to convince them to leave the course up long enough for me to get around it. When I race, the open class includes a couple other keelboats (Alberg 23, Catalina 22) and lasers, sunfish, buccaneers etc. The race committee often enforces a rule requiring all boats to finish within a half hour of the first boat in the class, which is obviously difficult if the first boat is a laser.....but at least now they have a portsmouth number for those occasions when I can actually get around the course quickly enough....Thanks.

Ken
July 10, 2009 08:31PM
How in the world do they include planing hulls like the Laser in the same class with displacement hulls like the Catalina?
Convince them to hold the race in a 25 knot breeze. The keel boats will be the only ones not on their side.
September 24, 2009 05:31PM
I'm not sure I want to be out in 25 knot winds, but it's a moot issue at Lake Arthur where standard wind is 5-10 mph, when it isn't "light and variable."

Further researching handicaps revealed PHRF ratings at 282 for the MFG19.

Average PHRF for Catalina 22 is 207, Portsmouth Number for Catalina 22 is 96.3.

Extrapolating from this set of data, I calculate the PN for MFG-19 should be 131.2, which is what I will give to the race committee for their arcane calculations.

Hope this is useful to the rest of you.

Ken
September 26, 2009 01:12AM
More data yields more confusion.

In my previous post, I did a simple ratio comparison for Catalina 22 Portsmouth Number/PHRF equal to MFG PN/PHRF.

Those numbers were 96.3/207 = ?/282 and yielded a PN of 131.2

One of my colleagues has a South Coast 23 with known PN of 103 and PHRF of 270. The same formula yields 107.6 for the MFG-19.

The SC waterline length, incidentally is 17.5 feet, despite its greater length overall.

He did a different calculation taking the difference between the Catalina 22 and the South Coast 23 in both PN and PHRF, then using that ratio to develop a PN for the MFG 19 of 104.3.

The last time I raced, I was keeping pretty even [or vice versa] with an Optimist, which has a PN of 123.6

Racing season is essentially over now, but I'll develop some on the water stats next summer, as I expect our Open Class to include the South Coast 23, a couple Optis, and an occassional Catalina 22. Stay tuned.....
October 02, 2009 09:59PM
Looks like your desired Portsmouth number is what the formula I found called the Handicap (HC). But I'll admit I don't understand the racing scene.

103-107 sounds pretty good. The original 131 seemed large. By dimension and draft, the MFG is a cruiser-racer.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login