Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

My MFG19 status

Posted by Paul 
My MFG19 status
March 16, 2009 02:30AM
Well, the season starts here April 1. My boat won't be ready by then, but perhaps a couple weeks later. I've been working hard on it. I have new cushions and new lines. I still need to fabricate a door. I have the measurements and I plan to make the door out of Mahogany and put a vent in it. I want to put a lock on the door.

Any suggestions for a locking mechanism? Any picture of such a mechanism?

I have to mount some cleats so I can secure the boat in the slip, I need to get a motor and a battery, and I need to buy some battens for the main sail.

The interior had the original fur lining. Since it is falling down in many places, I am taking it down completely and trying to keep it intact so I can make a pattern in case I want to put some other kind of material up at some point in the future. If anyone wants the measurements, let me know. For this season I will keep the interior bare with the unfinished fiberglass exposed.

The tiller is a mess. It has three pieces of wood that were probably laminated together with glue and screws. The wood might be too far dry rotted, but I am trying to save it. I took the screws out (that was hard to do) and the three pieces fell apart. One piece is cracked in two. I going to try to sand them up and re-glue them. With modern waterproof glues I think it will be strong enough. If not, I will have to fabricate a new tiller. At least I have the original three wood pieces to use as a pattern.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
Re: My MFG19 status
March 20, 2009 05:38PM
My door is in two pieces... top piece has the vent and an offset that rides over the bottom piece
The lock is a simple gate hasp that we put a padlock on. One half of the hasp is on the offset of the top piece, the other half is on the edge strip of the hatchway. I will try to get a picture for you.
March 21, 2009 06:06PM
Thanks, that would be great! A picture would really help, but I think I understand from your description. One question about the piece that goes on the edge strip --- do you have bolts that go through the edge strip and then all the way through the fiberglass and into the cabin, or only wood screws that are short and only go into the wood edge strip?

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/21/2009 06:07PM by Paul.
March 27, 2009 04:38PM
Screws that bite into the fiberglass edge of the hatch. One of mine had stripped out. I used epoxy putty to fill it, then re-drilled the hole.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login