Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG 19 motor

Posted by Paul 
MFG 19 motor
March 16, 2009 02:21AM
I need to get a motor for my MFG 19. I had written down some statistics that I got from Dick, but I have lost those.

What horsepower do you guys have, and what shaft length?

I measured the distance, with the movable bracket in the down position, from the top of the bracket to the bottom of the stern. I get 15 or 17 inches, depending on how I eyeball it (the bracket is about six inches away from the stern when it is in the down position so it is hard to get an accurate measurement). The various websites suggest this should be a short shaft motor. I sure don't want the prop exposed, but I also don't want it to drag in the water in the up position because it is too long.

I am also thinking about 6HP.

Thoughts?

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
Re: MFG 19 motor
March 17, 2009 03:03AM
I researched and found the correct measurement is bottom of bracket to the waterline. You need the prop under the water with a few inches to spare. A longer shaft wouldn't be terrible (because of the stub keel), and it won't drag when up, but it will just tend to catch more crap. Did the measurements for my Bandit 17, and was surprised to find that the short shaft is fine. I was nervous trusting my measurements because I always thought that sailboats had to have long shaft, but no. As 2 HP is fine for my boat, and a 4 HP Yamaha was plenty for a heavier 19' Cape Dory I have sailed (which did need the long shaft). I think 6 HP is as much as you will ever need, maybe more than you need. A factor is whether you have to deal with nasty tides and currents., So, I'd just look for the best deal in a 4-6 HP short shaft. And you'll definitely get better deals in the short shaft.

Don't know where you are located, but Defender Marine in Connecticut is having their blockbuster sale on March 26-29. they have some good deals on motors. They are also the cheapest and best online source for boating needs.

Peter
March 17, 2009 11:52PM
Paul:
Glad to hear you are ready to finally launch and sail. The weather here in Ohio broke this week and today was actually sunny and in the low 70's. I went to the lake this morning and saw that the docks are being moved into place. I probably won't get in until the first of May, but it sure is good to see the sun and feel some solar warmth. In response to your question about the shaft length, if memory serves me well, the length should be 17". My 6hp Mercury is really more than needed but I'm glad I have it in heavy winds and bad weather. Keep me up to date on your progress.

Dick
March 20, 2009 05:33PM
Dick, I am jealous. We still have full ice on all ponds and lakes.

Paul,
I have a 4 HP short-shaft. The minimum HP needed is about 3. The short shaft works fine, but if I stand on the bow to take in the jib with my wife at the tiller, the prop comes out of the water. I am trying to redesign the lift mechanism to see if I can get an extra few inches of travel.
June 23, 2009 05:33AM
further on motors:

My friend and I bought a Neptune 24 sailboat which we will keep on Chesapeake Bay. We have a six horsepower Mercury on that boat. Last November we were able to motor directly into a 24 mph wind for two hours with that motor. We didn't go very fast (distance from the marina to the bay was about seven miles), but the motor was able to push the boat against that wind.

At Lake Arthur, we have each had gasolone motors (5hp) on our MFG-19's and had endless difficulty with them. I switched to a Minnkota trolling motor, long shaft, with about a half horsepower rating. As Ceaston indicates, I had thought 3 or 4 horsepower was a minimum for the MFG-19, but experience has indicated a half horse will do most of your maneuvering (in inland lakes). You'll never outrun a storm with a trolling motor, but you wouldn't with a gasoline motor either due to limits on boat speed imposed by the keelboat design.

bonus feature of the electrics is their quiet operation and the degree of control over speed.

Ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login