Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG 19 electronical questions

Posted by windy1 
MFG 19 electronical questions
January 18, 2009 12:31AM
I have a down payment on a mfg 19 and have a few questions. I've sailed for years and my last boat was a compac 16. I didn't have any electrical components and if i sailed at night, i just used a flashlight, DE law does not state boats under sail have to have lights under 20 feet. Regardless, I saw wires and the mast had a wire run to the top of the boat i am going to purchase. Was wondering what other owners use for power, what voltage the lights are on the boat, and any tips, etc on wiring the boat. Also, i have no motor for this boat. Was wondering if a 5 hp will do. I have read on the other forums that someone uses a trolling motor so i assume so,, i will have to use the motor in and out of the marina i am keeping it in, it is a very narrow channel. Pictures would be great. Especially if anyone has done some interior lighting, i would like to do some cabin lighting and have enough power for a radio.

In addition, If water gets into the cabin, i saw a compartment that would allow the water to go into the hull space. I saw that the drainage tubes were all redone, but was wondering if anyone uses a bilge pump in that compartment, if it should be dry at all times, or if it is like other boats i have owned, i just check it and if there is any water in that space, i sponge it out.

Cant wait to work on it this spring and get out on the water again.

Thank you.
Re: MFG 19 electronical questions
January 19, 2009 02:56PM
Hi,

The MFG 19 is a nifty looking boat. I have the Bandit 17 and may upgrade to a larger but trailerable cabin boat next year. Anyway, I can help on the subject of outboards as I researched thoroughly last year. I considered a trolling motor and the truth is that there are lots of people successfully using larger trolling motors on 18-20 foot sailboats. I decided against because my reason for having an outboard is as emergency back up. For example, last summer we were becalmed half a mile from shore and a storm front headed towards us. I wanted out of there and quickly. The other factor is tides. There are some tough tides along the New England coast where I sail. For example, if you have a strong Westerly and an Ebb tide you can forget about sailing into Boston Harbor: it is a situation where a trolling motor would not cut it.

So, if you sail lakes and watch the weather, a trolling motor of say 55lbs thrust will be fine. If you are dealing with a more challenging marine environment, then go with the outboard. As far as HP. My 2hp unit is plenty for the 17 ft boat. I would think 3-4 would be perfectly adequate for the 19ft. Any larger and you have weight you don't want or need. Great thing about the 2hp is that I can easily pick it up and carry it without help. Truth is that I would like a 4 stroke unit, because I hate the noise of the 2 stroke. But, as I try to use the motor as little as possible, the lightness and economy of the 2 stroke makes it a better option.

Peter
January 20, 2009 01:34AM
Windy1:
In response to your questions regarding the electrical system of the MFG19, it was originally built with wiring for running lights and a cabin light. If you chech the parts list under the MFG19 logo you will find these items listed as original equipment. I have a 12 v. deep charge battery mounted in a battery box on the starboard side of the cabin under the cockpit. The wiring from the battery goes to a power distributuion panel mounted by the companionway entrance with toggle switches for running lights, cabin light, anchor (masthead) light and radio. The panel also has a cigarette lighter opening to which I rigged up a solar panel to recharge the battery when not in use. I simply plug in the panel ( which I bought at Harbour Freight for all of $14.00) and lay it either on the deck or in the cockpit. It will keep the battery at a 12.7V charge which is plenty to power the running lights, cabin light and marine radio for about 8 hours. Check out the pictures of the cabin under the MFG19 logo to see pictures of the cabin light and the power panel.
As far as the motor is concerned, I have a 6 hp. 2 stroke Mercury which is far more than what is needed but it was included in the the purchase price when I bought my boat. I would prefer the gas outboard to a trolling motor for reliability and power.
The well in the cabin you referred to is the bilge which may collect water for a variety of reasons ( rain, condensation, etc). You can rig up an electrical bilge pump or use a manual pump to drain this area. I have both. I usually pump mine out if it gets to about 3 inches, which it rarely does.
I hope this info will be of some help to you.

Good Sailing!!

Dick
January 26, 2009 01:20AM
Thank you. Very Helpful. Definitely ordering a solar panel. Keep you posted on the project.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login