Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Copperhead - Getting it going again - Need Help

Posted by jmaynard 
Copperhead - Getting it going again - Need Help
May 27, 2008 06:34PM
Hi folks! I'm glad to discover this site/forum! I have a 1974 Copperhead that was purchased new and have enjoyed for many years and has been out of service since the late 80's. I'm trying to get it back in the water for myself and children's enjoyment and have one problem to overcome. I am missing the Gudgeon which has separated from the stern of the boat and dissappeared, therefore I cannot attach the rudder. I am looking for any suggestions that one may have. I have copied some photo's of the gudgeon on the Sidewinder on this site and wonder if this is the same part (it looks like the same rudder as mine).

If anyone can supply a photo, dimentions of the part, source where one can be purchased I would greatly appreciate it. If I can atleast see the part, I would most likely get one made if I had to.

Thank you very much.

John Maynard - jrm@maynardweb.com
Burlington, NC
Re: Copperhead - Getting it going again - Need Help
May 28, 2008 02:26AM
I'm almost positive that Dr. Peter H. von Keyserling can answer this one. I'll see if I can put you in contact with him.

In the meanwhile, I will make some measurements of the one on my Sidewinder and post a photo or two. On one of my sidewinders, this part is cast aluminum and rather rugged. On the other sidewinder it is sheet aluminum (or perhaps plated steel) bent and punched. This second version would be rather easy to fabricate.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
July 03, 2008 07:12AM
Let me know if you're still looking for photos. I have a Copperhead and could take photos of the gudgeon.

Bob
July 14, 2008 05:45PM
Hi Bob, I have now figured out a solution using alluminum angle, cut to fit. This seems to work and I am now back on the water w/my boat. I am so excited and am now teaching my children the fun that I enjoyed as a teen. I am planning on posting my photos for the benefit of others and would love to see your photos as well just to see what the origional looks like. Thank you for replying and look forward to your shots.

Thank you!
John
July 22, 2008 10:07PM
Excellent! I write an outdoor column for a little magazine, and my closing line is always, remember, it's not about the gear--it's about getting outside.

I'm not so good with the camera, I'd rather just write the thousand words, but perhaps my teenage technical advisor will condescend to take some photos of our little craft. It will be a couple of weeks, though--we're taking the boat to Voyageurs National Park!

Bob
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login