Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Towing a sidewinder (as posted on old forum)

Posted by Paul 
Towing a sidewinder (as posted on old forum)
February 13, 2006 04:45AM
As orignally posted by Ron Katz:

Hello, I have a sidewinder with a Tee Nee trailer. My question is what do you think the whole set up weighs? I want to tow it with a 1999 Honda CR-V but the dealer is very adamant that I cannot go over 1000lbs. I see that the boat is supposed to weigh 175 fully rigged but don't know how much the trailer weighs. If I am even close to 1000lbs I'll tow it with my Taurus (2000lb cap.). I would just rather have all wheel drive when I go to launch it at the beach.

Thanks for any help in this matter.-Ron
Re: Towing a sidewinder (as posted on old forum)
February 13, 2006 04:46AM
As originally posted by Paul:

Hi Ron,

I also have a Tee Nee trailer. The good news is that it is an excellent trailer, sturdy and strong. Mine pivots, and your probably does as well, and that makes it easier to launch in certain situations. The bad news (well, not so bad) is that you could not have picked a heavier trailer.

I doubt the total is close to 1000 pounds, but I have no real way to measure it. I'd say the trailer is max 300 pounds and it certaily cannot be over 400! The whole thing just has to be less than 1000 pounds. Do you have a truck weigh station near you? Or an auto junkyard? Both have scales which can weight the total and both are usually willing to help you out if you ask nicely.

I'd more worry about the tongue weight. This is the downward force the trailer puts on the hitch. Make sure the hitch you are using supports at least 200 lbs tongue weight.

Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login