Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG 19 information

Posted by Boatlubber 
MFG 19 information
January 07, 2008 01:04AM
Hello MFG owners:

I am considering the purchase of a MFG 19 and have a few questions for those who are familiar with it.

1.Since the companionway is slanted more that most sailboats AND there is no sliding hatch; can you step from the cockpit down into the cabin, bend over and enter the cabin while still facing forward? OR; do you have to turn around and back into the cabin? Does the hatch area leak in the rain?
2. I would want to install a bimini top. Is there enough clearance between the boom and a persons head to allow a bimini to be fitted?

3. Has anyone moved the traveler to the rear(stern)? I now have a Catalina 22 and like that position for the main sheet.

4. How well does the MFG 19 go to wind? Can anyone relate it to the Catalina 22???

5. Any problems with fibeglass blisters or cracks?

6. I noticed a "board" in the cabin floor in a photo. How much room is there in that area? Does it access the balast area so that more balast could be added? How tender is the 19 with just 400 lbs of balast? Will it round up if overpowered by a gust?

Thank You for your help.

Byron
Re: MFG 19 information
January 09, 2008 05:20AM

This boat is a small wonder and doubles as a floating camp trailer. It handles well heels to the max and rounds up almost by itself.

Ho much are they wanting for the 19 with tlr?
January 09, 2008 01:17PM
MFG 19 owners:

The boat, motor and trailer with sails asking $3000.... I have aready asked and the price is negotiable. There is the possibility of a second 19 that I have to call about. It is listed at $1995 but no motor. I really have to be able to mount a bimini for our comfort. we love to boat but we are not a sun worshipers!!! I need to explore the possibility of raising the boom enough for the bimini. ANY IDEAS??
January 10, 2008 06:58AM

I don't know. If you raise the boom your shortten the sail. One would have to either shortten by reefing or have a shorter sail made. if one made a new mast to accomodate the original sail it would give the benefit of a better fitting Genoa but the downside is the genral balance of the craft would be altered. The if paramount to the great handling of the boat.

3000.00 is not a bad price.

Bill
January 10, 2008 07:07AM

Retype: This is paramount to the great handling of the boat.

There are ways to put side weights on each side of the keel to rebalacne but these are a lot of work.
February 02, 2008 06:32AM
Hey, I just bought one. too! Well, made the down payment. Mine is $1850 with the trailer. I'm going to pick it up tomorrow. And it's only 50 miles from me, in Petal, MS.
February 02, 2008 06:35AM
Just out of curiosity, anyone thought of trying to fly an asymmetric spinnaker from an MFG 19?
February 20, 2008 05:04AM
What motor comes with your 19, may I ask?
February 22, 2008 02:20AM
I've sailed an MFG19 for about 5 years and thoroughly enjoy the way she handles. In response to the question regarding the HP required of the motor, I have a 6hp Mercurary 2 stroke which is more than adequate. The compartment (bilge) in the floor of the cabin will not really accomodate any extra weight. In reality any extra weight for balast should be attached to the outer edges of the keel. I also can't see any way to add a bimini to the boat without major modifications to the boom. Feel free to contact me with any other concerns or questions.

Dick
March 21, 2008 08:17PM
What king of condition is your boat in? I bought one last weekend it appears to be in fair condition. It needs some work but I am looking forward to the weather breaking so I can tackle it. Does your boat have a headliner in it. Mine was taken out and I am trying to get an idea of what it looked like so I can possibly replace it. Have you sailed before? Do you have any ideas on how to rig the MFG?

Tim
March 22, 2008 02:24PM
Tim:
I've sailed my MFG19 for 5 years. It is the first and only sailboat I've owned. It is really very easy to sail. Mine did not have a headliner. If you go to the MFG 19 logo you can see pictures of my boat along with another 19. Also, Paul has posted the rigging instructions on that site which are the originals. I sent Paul some pictures and other info a month or so ago. I haven't heard whether or not he got them but maybe he will post them for others to use as a model. Hope this helps.

Dick
March 24, 2008 08:08PM
Thanks, I will check it out. I can't wait to get mine in the water. Do you rig yours by yourself or do you have assistance?

Tim
March 25, 2008 12:56AM
Tim:
I rig my boat myself. I do need help in stepping the mast, which I solicit from other sailors at the lake, but all else I do myself. I attach all the standing rigging except the forestay before stepping the mast. I then attach a rope to the forestay and raise the mast with the rope while someone steadies the mast. We have an unofficial sailing association of about 14 boats. We all keep an eye out for each others boats and help each other when needed. If you follow the rigging instructions Paul has posted you will have no problems. I would suggest that you invest (about $65) in a Loos guage to adjust the tension on the fore and aft stays as well as your shrouds. I've also modified my controls so that I have spring blocks at the base of the mast so the main and jib halyards can be routed through the blocks and then to clutches further back toward the cockpit. I also rigged a dousing line for the jib with a snap block and fairleads mounted along the deck. All lines can be controlled from the cockpit. One thing you may want to do is rework your mainsheet traveler. The factory installed original is a pain.

Dick
April 16, 2008 12:23AM
My rudder assembly looks like this. Is everyone else's the same? Seems unduly overengineered.
April 16, 2008 01:15AM
I guess I need to check what is wrong with this forum. Attachments don't seem to be working! I'll look into it.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
April 16, 2008 01:21AM
Testing image upload
April 16, 2008 01:22AM
OK, attachments seem to be working again. Can you try to uploade your rudder picture?

Thanks for your patience.

Paul
April 27, 2008 03:06PM
Dick, thanks for the response. I've been working on mine since the weather has broke and hope to get it in the water soon. I've refinished all the wood and pressure washed the boat and trailer, couldne't believe the difference. I pulled Pual's instructions for rigging and hope to tackle that soon.

Thanks!
Tim
May 16, 2008 02:58AM
I've thought of adding a bimini to my MFG19, but the low boom is a problem. A seamstress friend of mine and I are working on an above the boom version with a snap or velcro fly to allow the bimini to extend aft of the aft boom support cable. We would then mount the bimini about a foot to a foot and a half above the boom to facilitate movement in the cockpit. We haven't tested it yet, but hope to have it in place before the summer sun returns to western PA.

If you raise the boom to accomodate the bimini while sailing, you'll need to order a custom made main sail, and will probably experience slower sailing.

Ken
May 20, 2008 04:25AM
Ken, would your seamstress friend be interested in making new cusions? I have my originals for patterns, but they are completely shot. I have not found someone close to where I live who is up to the task.

Paul
January 26, 2021 11:45PM
My mast got bent by weight of snow. Where in Western New York or nearby, can I get it repaired or replaced?
Thanks!
Doug
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login