Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MFG19 owner

Posted by Paul 
New MFG19 owner
October 30, 2007 01:51AM
Me! I finally found one. I currently sits in Pennsylvania in winter storage and I will bring it home in the spring. In the meantime someone is mailing me the cusions so I can have them redone. I know for sure the headliner is falling down and needs to be replaced or removed. I'm not sure what else needs to be done.

So... can anyone send me some pictures of the interior? I'd like to get a good idea what it is like in there. How have you furnished your interiors? Does anyone have a sink or stove in theirs?

I'll have to make a hatch cover for it. Anyone have ideas for that?

What kind of motors do you all have?

Finally, any other suggestions?

Thanks!

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
Re: New MFG19 owner
December 06, 2007 10:42PM
Good to hear it!! Was this one of the boats at Moraine or another one? I finally talked my wife into taking sailing lessons. She was quick to judge something that she knows nothing about and when I pointed it out, she agreed with me that she should know more about it before she knocks it!

She seemed to think it was a lot of work but I pointed out that I thought it was just enough work to keep your mind off of the real work world!

Maybe I'll be looking for my boat next year :-)

Ken

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 12/06/2007 10:44PM by labkelly.
March 21, 2008 08:28PM
Paul what was your original headliner made of? I just purchased a MFG and it was pretty well stripped, the head liner is gone. I would like to replace it also but don't have a clue as to what would be the best material to use. I was fortunate the hatch cover had all been redone. If you would like pictures and measurements from it I would be glad to provide them. I was furtunate that all the interior cushions have been replaced and newly covered and never used. The tiller had been redone also. Mainly what I have to do is cosmetic.

Tim
March 27, 2008 10:18AM
Tim,

I will know this answer in about a month. Right now the boat is in storage and I don't have access to it. As soon as I get the boat home I will let you know.

Dick was kind enough to send me a photo of his hatch cover and make some measurements, so I think I am ok there. My cusions are an absolute wreck, but they are complete so I can get new ones made using the pattern from the old. I'm searching now to find somebody who can make new ones. I have no idea what else needs to be done, and won't until the boat comes out of storage. I'm hoping the restoration job won't be too big.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
April 05, 2008 04:54AM
My 19 needs a lot of work. This boat has not been well looked after.

It is now in the boatyard for bottom restoration. I'm waiting for the yard operator to sandblast off the old paint. Meanwhile, I have rebuilt the rudder, tiller, hatch cover, and the motor mount.

BTW, I found a running 1978 Johnson 4hp 2-stroke with a standard shaft length, fairly cheap at $350.

The deck wood, such as it is, and traveller need work. I also plan to replace the standing rigging and paint the mast, and I am saving for a reefing-furler system ($850, for a forestay length of 23'8".) The stancheon bases are corroded badly and some are cracked. A little Locktight will fix that, I think.

Inside I also need to redo the headliner, and I am exploring ways to accomplish this. Anyone let me know how best to go about this. Maybe I'll just glass and paint the ceiling.

Stay tuned...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login