Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New member -- looking for some info

Posted by Porrick 
New member -- looking for some info
June 09, 2020 04:01PM
Hi all,

Thanks for the add. I am a recreational daysailor/cruiser (and very occasional casual racer) -- mostly in Casco Bay and coastal Maine. I had a J-24 for many years (actually cruised with my young family in it), and now I own a Cape Dory 26. But last weekend --in a fit of COVID-closure desperation, I bought an early Sidewinder and trailer in sailable, but rough shape. Hull and deck look decent -- no soft spots or bog issues. All the parts are there -- though some are homemade and most others are badly worn, so it's going to need some work and a bunch of replacement stuff. I will be sailing this in Maryland/Viriginia bay/river/lakes mostly. Not sure how much time/effort I am going to spend restoring it or trying to make it look beautiful, but I want to make it a solid, fun, go-fast boat, so I'm looking for info on rigging options, repairs and parts / substitutes. Thats said, I am curious if anyone is actually doing significant restorations on these...

Regarding replacements, I have a few rough, home brew items I want to replace with either originals or decent substitutes. Specifically, someone fabricated both replacement centerboard and rudder/tiller out of heavy plate steel (with raised grips on one side!). While both of these work, the rudder is a real monstrosity, does not kick up, and weighs a ton). I am wondering if any replacements/substitutions are available? Note the hull attachment is original and solid, but the rest. Any advice on this would be much appreciated..

Also need to replace most of the jib setup -- one of the stays is fraying in the middle (I will make/have made these and may change the chainplate arrangement as well -- it seems super flimsy) and it looks like the furler blew up at some point (the guts are missing) so i need recommendations on an appropriate replacement (or used one). Twill also replace the rest of the running rigging as it is really old.

I guess that's it to start. am missing a few pieces of hardware. The self-bailer is gone-- sealed and roughly plated over. Not sure I care. The foredeck jam cleat (for the furler sheet I presume) is missing and the one on the centerboard casing is shattered. I notice that both these seem to be thru-bolted and, while I think I can get to the back of the deck cleat, the centerboard one is enclosed in the hull. Any advice on how to deal with this?

Anything major I shaped look for as Iget this stuff taken care of and get it in the water?

Thanks very much on advance for any help/info!

Pat
Re: New member -- looking for some info
June 10, 2020 03:52AM
There are a few people throughout the years that have fully rebuilt these guys from the ground up but I think you and I are in a similar situation! I’m planning on doing some repairs/updates to my sidewinder that I got for very cheap it with a leaky bailer, missing porthole covers and a few tiny cracks in the topside fiberglass/plastic/whatever it is. I recently capsized it and instead of being able to capsize and then righted, it just fully sank so I’m trying to figure out why that happened and keep it from happening again! I found a bunch of chunks of foam/insulation when I cleaned out the hull (along with like 20 pounds of dirt, twigs, leaves and acorns) so I’m thinking that may have something to do with it?

Anyway if you look through the forums history there are a few people who posted updates as they rebuilt theirs and should have plenty of tips, I think a custom centerboard and rudder are pretty common these days to just have them machine cut and then hand tool the edges.
The only way I know of (and I have zero experience so idk what I’m saying really) to get to the center board slot is to remove the top side of the boat from the hull, there are photos I’ve seen somewhere in this forum of someone doing that.
June 10, 2020 05:01AM
Not that I can offer much help, but there is a drawing on the website that has the dimensions for the centerboard.

I recall people just screwing in hardware to replace the jam cleats and it worked just fine. I'd give that a try and not worry about the thru-bolts. It should hold.

The bailer was a holt-alien.

I've not seen a rudder to buy, but there are a number of bad sidewinders out there. Maybe you can find a second one real cheap for parts. Don't go eBay - people as $600 for a really trashed boat. Crazy.

I remember giving away a sidewinder years ago. Now I wish I had some more for you guys.

Glad you are restoring your boats!

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
June 10, 2020 04:36PM
Thanks very much for the tips you guys. I will fix the cleats and muddle something together for the jib and get out there and sail a bit. I feel like getting it in the water and in the wind will tell me what is absolutely necessary, what I can do over time, and what I can leave be.

Cheers!
June 10, 2020 06:18PM
The first gen, very early sidewinders did not have a jib. They had a one piece mast and the centerboard was put into the other slot (maybe you have noticed there are two slots in there) so that the boat was better balanced. You could not raise or lower the centerboard; you had to take it out manually as you got near the shore. Like a daggerboard in other boats.

You could sail your boat that way if you have a one piece mast. But not the two piece mast as it does not have enough strength and will snap in two unless the wind is light..

There are two important things that the jib gives: the sail and the three stays (one being the jib). It you don't have a jib, make sure you use a stay attached to the handle on the front of the boat.

Paul
Re: New member -- looking for some info- Key question!
June 12, 2020 10:02PM
Wow, I'm glad you told me this! I was under the impression from the literature that the two-piece mast could be used without a jib (for beginners or mellow days), or with the jib for more advanced / faster sailing. I was set to take it out and use it without the jib to get a feel for the boat. That could have been bad.

One more very important question: My boat has no main step collar -- and there are no holes or markings at all where one might have been. Did any of these boats NOT have this collar?? The mast is snug when stepped and all seems fine, but the lack of a collar is a concern.....
June 12, 2020 11:31PM
Was there literature that said that the two piece mast could be used cat rigged, Pat? Does it mention wind speed limitations? I've owned both masts in the past and always preferred one one piece, but my current boat has the two piece.

I'm trying to remember if I ever saw a boat without one of those collars. I cannot recall ever seeing one. But maybe they did have some that way. Maybe the earlier boats?

What is the serial number of your boat (etched in the stern, or on a tag affixed just inside the cockpit. Or -- what is your sail number (although sails have changed hands...)

Have any photos?

Paul
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login