Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sidewinder Head Sail

Posted by frenchdi01 
Sidewinder Head Sail
June 18, 2019 07:23PM
Hello all, I recently bought a Sidewinder to get back into sailing after taking off several years. Does anyone have any guidance for the amount to tension on the sail from the downhall under different wind conditions? I am used to sailing catamarans so this is all a new experience. The boat did not come with a head sail nor any cleats that would hold the jib sheets. I would like to add a head sail and was wondering if anyone has just attached the sail directly to the forestay (suggestions needed) or if a furler is needed. If anyone has a spare I would be willing to take it off your hands smiling smiley. I would also need to add some cam cleats for the jib sheet but I cannot find any dimensions for their placement or orientation.
Thanks,
Dillon

[www.sailmfg.com]
Re: Sidewinder Head Sail
June 19, 2019 08:18PM
Wow your Sidewinder looks great. It is a fairly late model, so I am surprised there is no jib with it. I had thought by then that MFG only made sidewinders that had a jib. Oh well - learn something new every day. And I even have now learned that by then they had stays in place because the earlier single mast, single sail models did not. I assume yours is a two piece mast?

You could get along with just attaching the jib to the forestay. Why not? The roller furling is just a convenience. On my boat, the jib cam cleats are 25 1/2" back from the main stays.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
Re: Sidewinder Head Sail
June 20, 2019 06:49PM
Thanks Paul! It is a one piece mast. I am working on finding a sail that will fit.
Dillon
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login