Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Sidewinder Hull and Deck Paint

Posted by DPollock556 
Sidewinder Hull and Deck Paint
December 09, 2015 11:06PM
Hi All,

First of all, this forum is a wealth of info and is much appreciated! Thank you all!

Alright, so I bought my Sidewinder last April. This is my first boat (other than kayaks/canoes) and my first sailboat. After a quick lesson on rigging it up by the previous owner and a few sailing videos on youtube, I hit the water. This boat is fast, responsive and a blast to sail!

With that being said, the previous owner had painted the deck and cockpit with what looks like the "battleship gray" deck paint by Rustoleum. It looks like it was either rolled on or brushed (more likely brushed due to all the brush strokes), and I don't think he cared to do any prep work whatsoever. All of the hardware, the rubrails, even the two scuppers were painted over! Needless to say, she's a little bit ugly.

Does anyone have any experience painting the deck? I want to restore her to the beautiful blue that is peaking through all of the cracked battleship gray paint! Also, any advice on repainting the bottom? Since I keep her on the trailer, can I use the rustoleum glossy white topside paint from Lowes after a good sanding and priming?

Thank you in advance!

Dan
Re: Sidewinder Hull and Deck Paint
December 10, 2015 12:34AM
Welcome the the forum, Dan. I'm glad it has been of help to you. Sometimes answers come slow, so be patient. I have no experience in this area, so I cannot offer any advice. But I am sure there are folks here who can.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
December 10, 2015 01:17AM
Thanks Paul! I know I've been browsing this forum for a couple months now and understand that activity is a little slow.

Dan
March 24, 2016 09:41PM
So I thought I'd give a little update on the painting project. I've been working on the boat on and off for a few months now and i'm about 95% done with the bottom/hull painting. Of course, after flipping the boat and sanding, I found a couple cracks and a nice size hole in the hull (about the size of a quarter). It was soft and looked like it was filled with silly putty that was gel coated over..possibly bondo?. Actually, there were several spots and areas that instead of fixing, someone just brushed gel coat over it. The other thing I had to address was the centerboard gasket which was dry rotted and stiff.

First step was to sand....and sand....and then sand some more. I used a Random Orbital with 80 Grt to get all the gel coat off and rough up the old paint. Respirator is a must because there is a lot of dust and it is very bad to breath in! Anyways, after removing all of the gel coat, I focused on the hole. For this I used a Dremel with a cone tip and ground out the hole down to the fiberglass and out about 2 1/2 inches from the edge of the hole. I used resin and fiberglass from Lowes to patch the hole (about $20). For paint, I picked up 2 quarts of the Rustoluem topside white gloss. I figured since I keep the boat on a trailer, anti-fouling bottom paint was not necessary. I put on 3 coats using the roll/tip method but apparently I was doing it wrong. The first few coats went on ok but the 3rd bubbled and the roller caused big ridges. This could have been from painting at 3PM in Florida in direct sunlight…

Anyways, the boat sat for about a week until I could pick up where I left off yesterday. I washed the boat, than used a palm sander with 220 grt paper to smooth out the ridges and bubbles. I then washed it with some acetone to clean off any paint particles. The next day, weather called for 60-80% chance of rain, however this is Florida so it’s been cloudy all day, but no rain. I got up at 8AM, wiped off the morning dew, buffed the hull with some microfiber towels and put a final coat on. Most if not all of the bubbles and ridges are gone and she’s pretty shiny smiling smiley

Now I had to replace the centerboard gasket. I’ve been trying to find a good rubber gasket material to replace this with, but with no real luck. I found a gasket for the bottom of a garage door at lowes, but decided against it. In my garage, I found a new bicycle innertube for a 26” tire still in the box. I cut it to size and installed it and it looks like it should work just fine.

Next week I’ll be flipping her over to start working on the topside. Lowes has a Navy Blue topside paint that i’ll end up using to restore her back to her original color.

Ill try and post some pictures of the restoration. I’ve been taking them on my iphone but this website seems to require a couple extra steps on a real computer and I don’t use that thing too often anymore. I hope this helps anyone else out there that’s trying to bring back their Sidewinder!

Tools Used:
Ryobi Oribal Sander 80 Grt Paper
Dewalt Palm Sander 220 Grt Paper
Ridgid Oscillating tool with Triangle Attachment 80 Grt Paper
Dremel w/cone sander tip
Acetone
Fiberglass/Resin
Lots of rags
Paintbrushes and 4” Roller w/foam rollers
Rustoluem Topside Paint
Gloves and respirator
Patience

Dan
April 16, 2016 02:25AM
Hi All,

I've attached a link to a photo album of the repainting of my Sidewinder. It's not perfect but as my first boat refurb I'm happy with it smiling smiley

[goo.gl]

Dan
February 26, 2017 11:50PM
Hi All!

After I spent most of March and April last year repainting my Sidewinder, I was able to finally take her out with a buddy of mine. There was a stiff breeze blowing from the NW and as we turned upwind, the forestay failed and the mast come crashing down on us :/ We were able to limp back to shore, but damn that sucks sad smiley

Turned out that the boot that the mast tube set in was rotted out and could not hold when the forestay failed. Anyway, I cut the tube out and it sat in the garage for all of last summer (hard to do fiberglass work outside in FL in the summer time since it rains every day). I spent some time in November rebuilding the boot, remounting the tube and glassing it back into the top deck. It's not as pretty as it was before, but it looks like it will work. I wish I had one of those aluminum collars I see on some of the sidewinders, but oh well.

I'll probably post the pictures of the rebuild and go over that as well. Not a lot of replies on the thread, but a lot of views. Hopefully this has helped. Thank you!

Dan
February 27, 2017 03:58AM
Wow, Dan, that is an awful story! I'm glad you were able to make repairs. What was under there that rotted out? Some kind of wooden substructure? I look forward to see photos, so we can all learn.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login