Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Bandit 15 needs rudder, tiller

Posted by Rockdoc 
Bandit 15 needs rudder, tiller
June 20, 2014 07:16PM
Hello, first post. I purchased a Bandit last year and need to start the restoration. It needs a tiller and rudder. Are there any low priced sources other than going to Rudder Craft to purchase a new one? I am in Porstmouth, VA. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Dan
Re: Bandit 15 needs rudder, tiller
June 20, 2014 07:54PM
Hey Dan,
I just got a Bandit 15 free from craigslist a couple of months ago, took me several weeks to figure out what was missing. Trying to fix it up on low-zero budget. (Used to live in Blacksburg, VA - now in Vermont)

One place to find rudder/tiller parts is from D&R marine. Or ebay? I am ordering some parts from D&R marine myself for bandit.
[www.drmarine.com]

I thought I was going to need to replace my tiller, but I had a friend who was much more knowledgable said - "just sand it down and refinish it, will work just fine". I did that and looks pretty good if I do say so. If you are missing parts, thats another story. You may be able to match parts from another boat; can even buy a single wheelbarrow handle from local hardware store to shape it down to be a tiller. Depends on how crafty you are :-)
June 23, 2014 08:52PM
Hi JK,
Thanks for the response. Hope your search is going ok. I bought the boat off a friend who picks sailboats. I am working on putting the missing pieces together. Just made a replacement spinnaker pole thsi weekend. Working on getting a headsail that will fit and finding a tiller. My buddy used a rudder and tiller from his FJ and it fit well. Will keep looking and will certainly hit drmarine to see if they can help.

I have priced out replacement roller furling unit and would like a real boom vang instead of that weird arrangement they have on the boat.

I appreciate the respone.

Dan
July 08, 2014 06:40PM
I have a main/head sail and original (I believe it's original, appears similar to mine) rudder for sale if you still need them.
July 09, 2014 07:39PM
jkfinity Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a main/head sail and original (I believe
> it's original, appears similar to mine) rudder for
> sale if you still need them.

Yeah you bet I do need them. Would you like to call me? Or I can call you. Me 7 five 7 - three six 6 - sixty seven 67. That is my cell.
July 21, 2014 08:36PM
Hi all.
I have a Bandit 15 that hasn't been touched in 25 years. I am replacing lines and bought the 3/16" Dacron that the manual recommends for the jib halyard tail and the mainsail halyard tail. The problem I have is that the knots (bunt line hitch knot) do not fit through the pulleys at the bottom of the mast step.

Can I used smaller line like 1/8"? Neither really bare any significant tension, right?
Thanks
Jay
August 07, 2014 03:10PM
Don't really have an answer for that as I am still getting the boat together piece by piece.
September 14, 2014 04:54AM
Hello All,
Just bought a 15' bandit a couple of months ago. I realized that my boat didn't come with the pin that secures the top of the rudder to the rudder mount. Does someone know where I can get a replacement? Maybe someone can snap a photo a place it on the forum. Thanks!
September 17, 2014 03:37PM
I can but my pin looks pretty crude and homemade. It was the one I got when I purchased the boat.

I will try to get the photo this afternoon.
September 22, 2014 06:12AM
Thanks, I appreciate that.
September 22, 2014 04:06PM
Oh snap, I forgot to get a picture of it! Durn. I was working on it too this weekend. I put a new main halyard in, new sheet for the spinnaker and sanded and oiled the little bit of teak along the centerboard.

I must make a note.
September 23, 2014 03:01AM
Took it tonight have to resize it smaller. I took it on my iPad. Stay tuned
September 23, 2014 05:00PM
September 23, 2014 05:20PM
Replaced my main sail tail as well as replaced the spinaker sheet with 3/16. I don't think you would have a problem with the smaller line as they are used to guide the halyards. They are not directly taking full load of the sails.
September 24, 2014 08:02AM
Thanks for the pictures. Do you have anything to secure the pin in place? It looks like it could jump out of place. Thanks again.
September 24, 2014 02:15PM
The originals had a hole drilled across the end so you could put a snap ring on it.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
September 24, 2014 03:28PM
The pin for my rudder looks the same as the one in the pic but is twice as long. The only way it could come out is if the boat is completely capsized (turtle) - and even at that it would be unlikely that it would come out because of the pressure put on it by the rudder. I am taking my bandit 15 out of the water (Cape Cod) this weekend and can get you dims & pics if need be.
September 24, 2014 04:29PM
Hey Jay,

Bummer you have to take her out of the water but then again it is Mass and it is going on October. I think I have a few more weeks to get out here in VA. Bay stays pretty warm into Oct.

Do you get a lot of fouling after a season?

Again, nice to see another Bandit owner.
September 24, 2014 04:44PM
About the pin, It wedges in there pretty tight. I guess it would be good to have some sort of lock on it so as not to loose the rudder although with the wooden tiller and wooden blade (that wants to float away all the time) I think it would float for the most part.
September 28, 2014 04:57AM
Hey Jay,
Some more pics would be great. Call me crazy but it looks like a large Allen key.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login