Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG Redhead 17 Newbie

Posted by jchausow 
MFG Redhead 17 Newbie
May 27, 2010 06:24PM
New to MFG's. We just acquired an MFG 17 Redhead.S/N 83 Lots of questions for the forum...

What years did MFG produce the Redhead? Our title says this one is a 1971.

Does anyone know the water ballast capacity? We're thinking of adding a "flood valve" to the hull in order to speed up the fill and empty process of the ballast tank. Basically, a 1.5" thru-hull with a shut-off capability and 5" deck plate above it for air escape. Has anybody else done this before?

Is the boat sail-able without the ballast tank filled (empty or partially filled)? If it were partially filled, is the tank baffled to prevent sloshing and stability issues.

Is the entire cockpit floor a plywood/fiberglass construction?

Has anyone had drop keel issues? Ours is stuck in the retracted position.

With it's enormous main sail, what kind of wind speeds are approaching the limits of the boat? What kind of speeds are people getting under sail?

We cant figure out what the rear "traveler" cable is all about. Seems that the boom will swing where it wants to - within the limits of the cable length. Has anyone installed a traveler track before?

Thank you in advance for your help. We are really looking forward to sailing the Readhead!
Re: MFG Redhead 17 Newbie
April 29, 2013 05:54PM
I just picked up an early Redhead 68/69, orange deck ,cream hull. I to have some of the same questions you have. The scupper location and the plug next to the centerboard trunk also lead me to believe it was a water balast hull.I have looked for pictures all over the web and found a couple other boats with a diferent looking cockpit drian holes on the transome( smaller and round). Also have noticed different trunk construction on (what I think ) might be newer boats. I'm going to sail it without water ballast. Most daysailers of that size don't have or need ballast tanks.

My centerboard was also stuck in the trunk. Ther is a steel plate that is buitlt into the head of the centerboard that the pin goes though for the cable conection. the steel has rusted and swolen ,jambing the bearings into the trunk. The cap on my trunk is removable and it was easy to see what was wrong.

I'm surprised nobody else has replied to your post before me. Looks as if the Redhead is not a very popular boat in this MFG group. Mine needs work but is complete. I have worked on sailboats and sailed for years, the Redhead looks to be a descent boat ,well built and proportioned. Hope it sails as well as it looks. Ken
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login