Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

New MFG 19 owner - Introduction.

Posted by CaptainPeck 
New MFG 19 owner - Introduction.
June 17, 2013 12:07PM
Hello all.

My dad brought my new boat home yesterday. She is 1977 MFG-19 sail number 28. I've been looking for a small cruiser for years. I'd looked at at least a hundred boats but none of them spoke to me like this one did. This one spoke to me in the tune of $365.

She was never sold at retail, has never been in the water, never been titled or registered. Her original sails are clean and crisp as if they were made yesterday. She sits on her original trailer that looks almost new. I don't know many details about why she was never sold. She has never been rigged and the original stays and sheets were still sealed in plastic until I opened them for inspection this afternoon. There was no bow pulpit or stanchions included but there is no evidence that they were ever installed. The cabin is completely unfinished. There are no cushions or anything other than what came out of the mold. It looks like there was a foam backed fabric headliner installed on the cabin ceiling prior to bonding the deck to the hull. It has been removed and the only thing that remains are a few shreds sticking out from the seam. She has no elecrictrical systems at all, however, there is a bow light mounted, but not wired, and a light that fits on top of the mast was found in the sail bag.

The mast, spreaders, boom, rudder and tiller all appear to be original, unused, and in new condition. Ther are a few light scratches on the surface of the aluminum from being moved around for 36 years but thats about it. I have read through all the forum posts regarding this model and I saw it mentioned that this model had a deck that consisted of a glass/ply/glass sandwich but that is not the case with this one. The deck is solid fiberglass 3/8" or 1/2" thick. It's pretty darn solid. I'm 6'4" and 270 pounds and I can't feel the deck flex at all under my weight. There is a small 4-5" section of rub rail that has dry-rotted and broken off but the rest looks fine. Honestly, aside from some paint fade she looks like a boat that is only a year or two old.

I started a to-do list today with a goal of having her in a slip on Greer's Ferry Lake in Arkansas by mid-July. I'll need an outboard and mount and some of the wood that supports the through-deck hardware needs to be replaced but other than a few minor things she should be ready to launch soon.

I'm quite excited to get her sailing. If anyone is aware of a pulpit and stanchions for sale I'd be interested. I've found some used from other boats but I would really like to keep her original if I can. These boats are very rare and I'm proud to own one.

Peck

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/17/2013 07:52PM by CaptainPeck.
Re: New MFG 19 owner - Introduction.
June 17, 2013 04:52PM
Hi Peck,

Welcome to our group. It is a small one, so a response might take a while. You have a really special find! Lucky you. Are there two wooden interior supporting poles inside the cabin? (Maybe with your deck it was not needed??).

Make sure the drain system is in place. Two tubes underneath the cockpit that connect into a T to a single tube that runs out the back.

I'd sure like a picture of your rudder. I get so many questions about that part of the boat. Send one along if you can!

What is your color scheme? I have some cushions I had custom made from the original pattern. They are in a maroon/white pattern, which would have matched the boat I used to have. Alas I don't have my boat any longer, but I still have the (never used) cushions. I'm not sure if you would be interested in them or not. They cost me a fortune to have made because I used a high quality shop, but I do not expect to recoup that cost. If interested let me know.

Keep us posted on your progress!

Paul

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
June 18, 2013 12:43AM
Paul,

Currently there are no deck supports but I wouldn't dare step the mast until I've installed some. The deck is strong under dead weight but I doubt it is strong enough to tolerate the lateral forces of a sail full of wind.

I'm attempting to post a few images. Here goes.

[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
June 23, 2013 04:13AM
I sanded the underside of the deck today in preparation for paint. I have the pieces cut for the deck support bulkhead. I've chosen to use steel rather than wood as I have lots of galvanized stock. Tomorrow I'll weld it together and put it in and then make sure the rigging all goes up properly. I've ordered a bilge pump and a few through-hull fittings. I'm not as motivated as I should be but I'm making progress.
July 06, 2013 11:46PM
I am new to this site as well. I recently acquired a 1978 mfg 19. Mine has been sitting in a garage for the last 11 years. Little to no maintenance has been done up to this point. The last 3 days has been spent scrubbing, buffing and waxing. This is my first sailboat any helpful hints would be welcomed. I read that the boat comes from the factory with a bilt in bilge pump. Can anyone can tell me if this is true? If it is true how do I find it to check if it is operational? Also it looks like the wood support for the mast is a little bowed. Is there anything special I need to do to replace this? I still have a lot of work to do just hope it will sail this year.
August 11, 2014 06:42PM
Hi Peck,
Did you get your MFG 19 in the water yet? How did it sail?
I purchased one last week and have lots of work ahead.
Jim
August 11, 2014 10:02PM
Man, what a find! JeAlOuS!!! :-D I want your Dad to find a boat like that for me. $375 for a virgin boat / rigging / trailer? Wow! I want to know how / why / where <grin>
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login