Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Challenger 15 electric motor

Posted by wkirch 
Challenger 15 electric motor
November 13, 2012 02:06PM
I purchased above boat but need to purchase an electric motor. Any idea of what would be an acceptable shaft length and what thrust i need. Thanks in advance.
Re: Challenger 15 electric motor
September 22, 2013 12:06AM
I just purchased a Minnkota Riptide 45/SC electric trolling motor for my Challenger 15. It has a 36" shaft and puts out 45# of thrust at top speed. It's powered by a Group 27 12V deep cycle marine battery located in the bow. I tested it on a local lake this week and it performed very well. Pictures of the boat before and after motor installation are attached. Installation of the adaptor plate and electrical receptacle were easy enough. You need to run 15' of marine duplex cable from the transom to the battery box in the bow, properly supported and fused with a 50A fuse. Battery box is fastened to the bow flotation tank using a web strap and footman's brackets. The motor mounting bracket and motor can easily be installed and removed for trailering and storage. Let me know if there are any questions.

[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]

Terry
Challenger 15, #295
September 22, 2013 01:20AM
My Challenger #227 came with what looks like attachment points for some sort of motor mount that I haven't seen before. I finally just ended up mounting oar locks on the boat and they work pretty well if the wind quits on me.
October 01, 2013 10:23PM
Sitting on the centerboard trunk to row can't be very comfortable, but I guess it gets you back home if there's no wind.

Terry
Challenger 15, #295
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login