Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Help! Requesting Pics of Bandit 15 Rigging

Posted by twhatton 
Help! Requesting Pics of Bandit 15 Rigging
July 26, 2012 04:50PM
Hey guys,

I've recently purchased a bandit 15 needing a lot of TLC and while I'm completely up to the job, this is my first sailboat.

A lot of the rigging had to be discarded, especially the standing rigging for the mast which was badly frayed and dangerously sharp. As a result, I've thrown out the rigging that runs inside the mast. Also, the standing rigging seems to be the only rigging that was included with the boat -- there's nothing else. I found the rigging instructions and printed them off, but admittedly the diagrams from MFG leave a lot to be desired for a first timer.

I was hoping someone out there could supply me with both general and close-up photographs of a properly rigged Bandit 15. Also, if you dont have pics but you have some good advice for a beginner, please throw up a post. It would help me enormously when I'm taking things apart and when I head to the West Marine to pick up what I will need to get her back in the water.

Cheers
Re: Help! Requesting Pics of Bandit 15 Rigging
August 12, 2012 03:54AM
Hi. I just pulled my Bandit out of mothballs. It is still in pretty good shape. Do you still need help with the rigging?
June 03, 2014 09:06PM
Are you still there, willing to help? I'm in similar situation. I’m grasping at straws here, looking for help. I have a Bandit 15 I got from guy on Craigslist, free. But he had never sailed it; no history for it. Missing jib, spinnaker, all running rigging is gone. I’m trying to recreate with donor jib / spinnaker from a similar size 16’ dinghy. I’ve got pdfs from the MFG site, and happened to see that you sold one some time ago. I was wondering if either you – or person you sold it to – could give any help? For one thing – mystified where the spinnaker lines/halyard go through the mast!

I also could use a photo of the boom / mast connection. The basic drawing of the the rigging guide doesn't show what pins / parts I'm missing. It's impossible to connect right now with the parts on hand, in a proper up/down orientation. Man, I wish I could find a Bandit 15 owner within reasonable driving distance

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/09/2014 04:37AM by jkfinity.
June 14, 2014 08:12PM
I don't know if I am within reasonable driving distance (south central PA), but can certainly provide Bandit 15 rigging pictures.
Erik
June 14, 2014 08:21PM
Erik,

If you have any problems posting pictures to this thread, send them to me and I will put them in the main website, Bandit 15 section.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
June 16, 2014 04:12PM
I actually found photos of the gooseneck connection for boom mast on another post on this website, MFG 19 boom attachment question. They had pictures of that connection I was looking for. I finally found one that showed I was missing one small part to combine the two connectors. The boom had a U-shaped metal piece bolted in place. The rivets were crappy and/or missing, so I drilled those out and replaced them. When I had the boom end cap removed and compared it to the details I found on D & R Marine website for similar gooseneck, it had just a dumb bolt screwed on there; it was originally designed to have a spring-tension bolt to enable main sail roller reefing. Not anymore :-) I'm not trying to restore to original function, just trying to get it rigged. I can do without roller reefing for the lake sailing. Tightened the bolt and replaced the rivets. Looks secure and much tidier.

The mast slide connection had a similar U-shaped connection welded in place. But since both U connectors were at 90 degrees from each other when lined up, it dawned on me I was missing a critical part to make that work. It is similar to a U-joint in automotive parts so that it could move and swivel in up/down and side/side directions. I found a part on D & R called a "Gooseneck Universal Connector 3/4" x 3/4" for about $9. Hmmm, I found a piece of heavy alum square stock in my garage that was 3/4" x 5/8". I cut out a 3" long piece, drilled holes at each end to match connectors. Voila! I had a working gooseneck! (I will try to get photos of that connector for topic and for Bandit 15 section)

Still looking for: spinnaker mast rigging. No lines on the mast for spinnaker whatsoever.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/16/2014 04:23PM by jkfinity.
June 20, 2014 07:21PM
I am in the process of getting my Bandit up and running and any help that anyone could provide would be awesome. The jib is pretty much gone. I am looking for a replacement but short of having one made I am a bit stumped. I also need a tiller and rudder assembly. At any rate, it is good to know that there are still Bandit owners out there.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login