Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Just bought a MFG 19

Posted by mariner803 
Just bought a MFG 19
November 11, 2006 04:29PM
I'd appreciate any information on MFG 19's. I've not had it in the water yet, but it appears to be in very good condition. No jib, and doesn't appear to have had a backstay - is that normal? Grin. Forgive me for being an idiot.

Thanks

Mike
Re: Just bought a MFG 19
November 12, 2006 04:06PM
Mike:
Welcome to the MFG 19 club! I've had my 19 for about 4 years now. You should have a backstay that splits about 5' above the stern and attaches to eack side of the transom. You can see a picture of my boat on the mfgsailforum under the MFG19 logo. I have no owners manual and can't find one anywhere. If anyone else out there has any info, a post would be helpful. I'll see what I can find regarding size of the jib and where you can find one.

Dick
November 16, 2006 04:07AM
Thanks a lot. I found a site that lists the dimensions. www.sailrite.com. I'm going to pick it up this weekend. I'll post some pics once I get it home.
November 17, 2006 02:45AM
Mike:
I look forward to seeing your pictures. I just put my boat in winter storage today and am anticipating next April when I can get her back in the water. You will find the MFG19 to be a very fast boat in 10-15 MPH winds. It handles very well and is very receptive to the weather helm. Cabin room is rather sparse, but it was made for speed rather than comfort. I got a great deal on mine and have been offered 3 times the price I paid when others have seen her under sail. You can email me direct if you want at henry3679@earthlink.net. Good sailing!

Dick
November 23, 2006 05:07AM
Hi Dick,

I tried the email above but it bounced on me.

I have the boat home and have gone through it. Overall it's in pretty good shape. The hull is so clean it looks like a pass with some wax and a buffer will have it shiny in no time.

Here's a list of things that will need some work.

1) The headliner is down. Haven't decided how to remove the residue, probably with a sander unless someone has a better suggestion.

2) There are 4 thru hull fittins on the transom. 2 go to the cockpit drains. One functions as the sink drain. The other... Seems to run straight to the bilge. Is that normal? The fitting itself is gone. I have a hole running straight into the cabin that's only a couple inches above the waterline. Seems like a recipe for disaster.

3) The cushions are toast. That's ok. I have 30 yards of sunbrella type fabric I've been saving for something. I guess this is something.

4) The cockpit seats have teak railing over them, kind of like the teak you sometimes see in the floor of the cockpit. Is that normal? Lots of teak on the boat that's weathered but otherwise good.

5) I feel like an idiot asking but there's a traveler at the entrance to the companionway. Got any photos of how you have yours rigged?

Thanks

mariner

November 24, 2006 03:49AM
Mariner:
I'll try to respond to your questions as best as possible. The previous owner must have done a lot of customizing based on you comments. My boat does not have a headliner ( assume you mean a covering on the ceiling of the cabin much like the cloth covering on the inside of a car). I'm also assuming the through the hull fittings were added by the previous owner. I have one on the transome for the cockpit drains. The one from the bilge was probably foe a 12v. electric pump.
Where is your sink located and how do you have it hooked up? I'm surprised at the teak handrails above the cocpit seats. Do you also have a lifeline? I have handrails on the deck running from just past the companionway to just before the hatch on the outside of the mast. Again, refer to the pictures posted on the Sailmfg website. And finally, the traveler is indeed located at the entrance to the companionway. I'll take a picture of how mine is configured and post it.

Where are you located and where do you sail.I'm in central Ohio at a small inland lake. My boat was previously at Lake Erie, which is a 1 1/2 hour drive for me. Now she's only 20 minutes away from home and 5 miles from the golf course I work at in the summer- very convenient. I'm able to get out 2-3 times a week from May to late September. I gave you the wrong email last post - the correct one is : henry2679@earthlink.net.

Dick
December 01, 2006 01:43PM
Dick,

I've come across a jib that's 19'9" along the luff, 10' foot. In looking over sail dimensions across a couple of sites where mfg 19 data is located, that seems to fit on the long end of a working jib, very short end of a genoa. Is there any way you could measure your jib? All these I, J, P values have me scratching my head.

Thanks

Mike
December 01, 2006 09:48PM
Mike:

Those dimensions sound right. I will try to measure my jib this weekend and let you know. I did receive your email and will respond via that address. Since the season is over here in Ohio I have my sails stored in a Rubbermaid tub in my garage. I'll have to get them down to measure them.

Dick
December 04, 2006 03:49AM
Thanks Dick. No rush. It's winter here too grin.

I pulled the thru hull fittings on the transom. One I think I'm going to glass back up. It was only for the sink line. I can T that into one of the cockpit drains.

Peeping around through the holes however, was interesting. Double hulled, and looks like it's foam filled.

I guess I need to go read the brochure.

Thanks again

Mike
December 06, 2006 09:40PM
Mike:

I got around to measuring my jib over the weekend. The luff is 20', the leach is 16'6" and the foot measures 7'. All measurements include the tack corners. As far as I know this is the original jib as well as my main. My sail number is #51. I also have a light wind sail and a genoa, neither of which I have used as of yet. Send pictures when you can. I have emailed 1 other MFG19 owner over the past 3 years. He supposedly has an owners manual I would like to copy. I am interested as to where you are located. Keep me posted on your progress.

Dick
March 17, 2008 08:24PM
I just purchased a MFG 19, brought it home yesterday from Lake Erie. The head liner has been removed and the hatch cover is gone. Does anyone have any pictures of their boat that has been restored or is orginal. Would appreciate any information. I have sailed smaller sail boats and a catamaran so this is a new experience.

Tim
March 17, 2008 08:24PM
I just purchased a MFG 19, brought it home yesterday from Lake Erie. The head liner has been removed and the hatch cover is gone. Does anyone have any pictures of their boat that has been restored or is orginal. Would appreciate any information. I have sailed smaller sail boats and a catamaran so this is a new experience.

Tim
March 17, 2008 08:25PM

Tim
March 18, 2008 01:26AM
Welcome Aboard! Where on Lake Erie did you find your boat? I live about 60 miles from Sandusky but I sail on a small inland lake in north central Ohio. If you check oy the MFG19 link you will find several pictures of the MFG19, some of which are mine. I can send you some other pictures as I've done for other owners. My boat did not have a headliner when I got it. I'm not sure if mine actually had a headliner as there was no residue or remnants of one. You can email me directly at henry2679@embarqmail.com.

Dick
April 27, 2008 03:19PM
Dick, I purchased my boat in Port clinton, it hasn't been sailed for several years. The ownners had the boat covered sitting in their driveway. I have been working on it since the weather broke. I've painted the trailer, put a coat on the keel and pressure sprayed both prior. I got the boat for $1200. and feel like I got a bargain, I been looking for some time. The cushions have all been redone and never used. The boat itself is in good shape. I am missing the compartment covers on the inside and I am looking for alternatives to put over them. Are yours made of Teak or did you go to another material? What does your boat have inside the cabin? I've seen pictures with small sink and etc., mine is bare.

Tim
April 27, 2008 04:16PM
Tim:
Sounds like you got a good bargain. How are the sails and the standing rigging? What else came with your boat (motor, trailer, etc)? The covers for the cabin compartments are just plywood covered with a naugahyde-like upholstery cover. My cushions are also in good shape. I also have a pull-out table in the cabin. Besides that I only have the steps into the cabin and a portable toilet that pulls out from under the cockpit. Obviously there is the battery case, marine radio, power distribution panel, but no sink or stove. I just finished putting new rubrail on my boat and am varnishing the cabin door also. If I can find time to put on the bottom coat this week I may take it to the lake next weekend. FYI, Paul Heller, our MFGSail webmaster, just picked up his MFG19 in PA and is stopping at my home today on his way back to Colorado. Good luck with your boat and keep me posted on your progress.

Dick
May 10, 2008 12:18AM
Paul, my was pretty stripped, I have all the cushsion for the interior in excellent shape. I found a company that had marine board on line and ordered the storage compartment covers and they are nice. I bought wood and prefer the polyethelene it look much nicer and won't warp. I have refinished the steps and the wood on both sides of the cabin door. I do have a cabin door that the previous owner had made and just refinished. All my sails appear to be in good shape and the lines. I hope to set everything up on it and check it out a more and get in the water sometime this month. When I brought the boat home I was given a car load of stuff that went with it, originally I thought cabin door was something that went inside the boat and later realized that it was the cabin door. The door is in three separated sections that slide down the side rails on the opening.

Tim

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/10/2008 12:29AM by trjlf.
May 12, 2008 05:09AM
I'm working on getting mine in shape. One problem I now have is that it is taking on water (while it sits on the trailer). I need to figure out why/where that is happening. It does not appear to be the forward hatch. the keel opening was full of water. I have taken as much out as I can, but I think there is still water in there. The area immediately below the opening in the cabin for the keel is now dry. But I can't really see in there to see how far forward that opening goes underneath the front part of the cabin. Somehow I think there is water up there.

Does anyone know how far forward that space goes? Does it eventually go down into the keel? I need to get a different pump if a hose is needed to extract more water from within the keel.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/12/2008 05:13AM by Paul.
August 08, 2010 06:03AM
Hey Paul,

Just got back from sailing my 19 around Catawba, over to South Bass and back. Now I'm dreaming up projects for her, and looking at the forums for ideas on things.

I realize this is an older thread of posts, but just in case, take a good mirror, and a better flash light (I'm obsessed with 3cell maglights!} and you can shine on the mirror and it will reflect back into the forward section and stem of the boat through your floor cover acess. You probably alread figured all this out but just in case its a big help. Haven't got to far along on my own projects in the past year and a half I've owned her, but been on Erie 3 times now and love it! She sails like a big boat stuck in a small dink. I'm suprised small craft advisories magazine never mentions Mfg boats of any kind. They've always been goodto me. I plan on sending them a letter, maybe even get an article published (another life long dream, to be published but thats netither here nor there). The crowds written about in the articles seem like our type of sailors.

Sorry I rambaled, still on a high from great sailing today!
August 15, 2010 04:00AM
Please keep on rambling, Bill! I like your ideas.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login