Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

15 Sidewinder help/suggestions/advice please

Posted by drm2g 
15 Sidewinder help/suggestions/advice please
May 11, 2012 03:52PM
Just bought an old Sidewinder and am trying to decide whether to sell off parts or fix it up (no garage, not many tools). Hull seems to be watertight and pretty good for its age.
It has original aluminum rudder & centerboard, mainsail (good condition w/ a few small spots), 2-piece mast, self-bailer (2 pieces- lower piece keeps falling out).
Needs: main-sheet (& blocks/cams), rigging (3 stays & quick release/adjust hardware), mast cap, halyard block, 2 port covers, centerboard tether, jib (and furler or other hardware to use jib), cleats/cams, tiller extension, etc.

Is there a market for the original parts? What do they go for?
Is this boat worth putting together?

Any advice will be deeply appreciated including how/where to find/create the missing parts!
Thank you!
Marcus - Sarasota, FL
Re: 15 Sidewinder help/suggestions/advice please
May 11, 2012 04:08PM
Hi Marcus,

I have not seen requests for parts other than centerboards and rudders. If a sidewinder turtles, the centerboard falls out the top of the slot and sinks the the bottom of the lake. I'm not sure the price someone would be willing to pay for those parts. There really is not much of a market.

It sounds like you have the hard to find parts. There are some posts in the forums here about how to replace the centerboard gaskets. The bailer is a holt-allen bailer and I believe can still be purchased new. You won't find the old coffee can lid type of pot hole covers anywhere. The portholes would have to be replaced with new portholes. This is not a hard job. The jib furler might be more difficult to find.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
May 11, 2012 05:08PM
Hi Paul:
Thanks for the info. Seems like a tether for the centerboard will do the trick.
I did see the post about the gasket - thanks, very helpful.
Also saw the info on the bailer - thanks.
Thanks about the portholes - will replace.
I appreciate your getting back to me.
Marcus
May 13, 2012 01:28PM
Hi Marcus,

I agree with paul that you have the hard to find parts. I have a complete jib furling set up with side stays if your interested, make me an offer. I live in Ohio depending on where you live the shipping would be expensive because of the length.
July 07, 2012 11:57PM
I have been looking for a centerboard and rudder for a 15.5 Sidewinder. I live in central NC, Where do you live? I am up for a road trip about now.
Keith, Hunter23
July 08, 2012 12:11AM
Hi Keith: I'm in Sarasota, FL. I have the whole boat for sale now for only $600 with all the parts (including original rudder and centerboard) but missing jib (& furler). I made rigging from nylon line with caribiners, put in 2 new port hole covers (deck plates?), got a proper main sheet system. Only thing it needs is a new self-bailer ($55). One of the D-rings (aft deck) broke off above the deck. Either not necessary or can be easily fixed by installing a new deck plate for access. The hull is in pretty good condition. Deck is chalky. No trailer! (Please see craigslist for Sarasota). The rudder & centerboard are, of course, the most valuable parts. Without them the rest of the boat is basically worthless. So, how about taking the whole outfit? It's a wonderful deal!
July 08, 2012 10:07AM
I have 2 complete furling tubes if anyones interested
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login