Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Self Bailer Basics question has pictures now

Posted by Russell 
Self Bailer Basics question has pictures now
April 16, 2012 06:43PM
Thanks go to Dale for instructions on how to get pictures into the post. The pictures below are added to the previous post on my sidewinder self bailer.
[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]

I have another question on the small hole that occurs at the front wall where your feet go. THis is up near my self bailer. I imagine that it allos the water to drain out from between the hull if water gets in there while sailing. It also seems like water could get in that way if it is not pluggged so I think I am missing a plug. Does anyone have a picture of their plug that they could send me so that I can look for something appropriate for my sidewinder? Sorry about the bad pircture quality. It is a little too close. The hole is mostly covered by my blue masking tape in the image below.
[www.sailmfg.com]
Thank you,

Russell
Brighton, Colorado
Sidewinder 215
Joe
Re: Self Bailer Basics question has pictures now
May 09, 2012 03:00AM
Here is a picture of the plug I put at the front of the cockpit. It's the same as at the rear of the boat.

[www.sailmfg.com]

I got it at Walmart and yes the hole is required. This is the only way you can drain the front section, especially since you have the new and improved non-floor like myself.

Your bailer looks a little strange to me, here is what I have.

[www.sailmfg.com]
[www.sailmfg.com]

Yours looks like it would catch just about everthing in the boat. That would be frustrating for me.

I hope these help, also check out my Sidewinder Rebuild post. It's pretty lengthy but it may help you out.

Joe
Sidewinder #327

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/09/2012 03:11AM by Joe.
May 09, 2012 07:47PM
Thanks Joe,
I don't know if my self bailer is original equipment or not, but my plan is to replace it since I can't get it to stop leaking. I was looking at getting a self bailier that looks just like the one you installed. Now I just have to get the time to do it. I found a compression plug that works for the small hole in the front wall. The plug you show looks to be back by the rudder and I found a standard boat drain plug that screws in for that spot and works nicely. On another topic, that was a great video of you sailing your sidewinder. I have been out twice so far in mine and was terrified of tipping over each time...in very light winds. The slightest change in wind direction or boat direction seems to want to capsize me. I think it might be time to take some local lessons.
Russell Longshore

Russell
Brighton, Colorado
Sidewinder 215
Joe
May 22, 2012 02:42AM
Russell,
Don't be too concerned about tipping in heavier winds. You will really be suprised at how stable it is. The only time I nearly dumped it was during light winds in the marina and I was caught be a rouge gust. As it began to go over I ended up standing on the opposite inside wall and turned around and held onto the side rail. As soon as the wind "dumped" from the sail it went right back up. As it came back up, I just got down into the bottom of the boat to minimize any over righting of the boat. If your concerned while learning you can hold onto the sheet instead of locking it in the cleat. This will help you get the feel of how stable it is. It will start to feel like a "tip over controller". If you pull on it, it tips. If you release it, it will come back up. Just run it wherever your comfortable.
But like I say if you can go out in about a 10-15mph wind you'll really have a blast. It's actually easier to tack with heavier winds.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
May 22, 2012 08:42PM
Thanks Joe,
I'll have to be a little more adventurous this coming weekend and worry less about it. It will probably just be a matter of me keeping at it until I get used to sailing.

Russell
Brighton, Colorado
Sidewinder 215
April 12, 2013 04:14PM
Hi Joe, Not sure how often you get on here, but..........my self bailer is trash. Have any idea on where to get a replacement? Also, did you have to split the top and bottom of the boat to take out and reinstall, or can it be done from the top as my boat is all put together?

Thanks for any help.

It's April and June is just around the corner.

Sail on, Garth.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login