Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

copperhead centerboard mechanics

Posted by Tony Rozga 
copperhead centerboard mechanics
September 04, 2011 09:10PM
Hi, sailing newb here trying to resurrect a Copperhead as first boat.

My main problem is the centerboard. The original is missing. The boat came with a rotted plywood centerboard. Being clueless, I cut the same shape out of plywood as a prototype. The two upper corners had bushings on them to prevent (I assume) the board from falling through the slot. I can slide the board into the slot. It protrudes from the bottom, angled from front to back.

What confuses me is looking at the rigging doc picture and other pictures. It looks like the corner with the small bushing is supposed to slide down into the centerboard slot. Is that right? Looking at figure 8 in the rigging pdf, does the board slide up and down from that position or, does the small bushing prevent that corner from descending and the board pivots around that point? I the centerboard always entirely deployed-or-not-deployed during sailing or are there intermediate positions?

I guess the bottom line: can anyone explain the basic mechanics of how the centerboard works?

Thanks a bunch,
Tony
Re: copperhead centerboard mechanics
September 05, 2011 03:11AM
Hi Tony,
In general, the daggerboard keeps you from sliding sideways if you are close hauled or on a beam reach - when the wind is mostly coming over you side. On a broad reach or running downwind, you can pull your daggerboard up, giving you less resistance and more speed. You'll also want it down when tacking, else I think you will slide a lot on the turns.

I've never seen a Copperhead, but that figure makes it look like your centerboard will pivot on that lower bushing, and a line can be jam cleated in to hold it up. I sail a borrowed Force 5 that has a daggerboard, and I never remember to pull it up! If you are not racing, I don't feel that it will make a lot of difference to leave it down all the time. I'm sure lots of people will disagree though.
Joe
September 05, 2011 05:24AM
Hey Tony,
Take a look at the Sidewinder centerboard rigging. It sounds like it is set up the same way. Mine has two set of bushings on it at the top. When it's in it doesn't angle towards the rear like you describe. I think when it's all the way down the front is vertical and the back of the centerboard agles forward. When I sail, I normally only drop it about half way down. I have noticed if it's all the way down and you begin to gain speed, it will start to vibrate. This settles down when raised.
The centerboard pivots on the front bushings with a line attached near the rear bushings. This line is run forward through an eyelet and then back to a locking cleat. This way when you pull the line it will raise the centerboard allowing you to lock it in whatever position. I remember one time when I forgot to put it down. I couldn't figure out why my boat would not sail in a straight line. I just drifted away with the wind.
Good luck with your new boat, I was where you are last year. This year its only a few minutes rigging time away from heading out of the marina.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
Joe
September 05, 2011 05:55AM
I just looked at the Copperhead rigging, it looks like you wont have the eyelet to run the line through. I dont understand how you would raise the centerboard without this. It may be something to add during your refurbish. The Sidewinder rigging shows this pretty well.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
September 06, 2011 04:41PM
Thanks Dale and Joe. I was indeed inserting the board backwards. The Sidewinder rigging pic and the understanding that the front bushing is a pivot point makes things much clearer.

Now on to making a new board...
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login