Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Whip owner new to the forum

Posted by srust58 
Whip owner new to the forum
August 23, 2011 08:32AM
I have had Whip #91 for 3 years now in Minneapolis and just found this forum. It was given to me by a neighbor and was in tough shape with a cracked hull/deck joint, missing hatch covers, missing the centerboard trunk side supports, and a centerboard held in by memory only. That we sailed it several times like this still surprises me that it did not break up out on the lake. Soon after that I fixed the problems. Made new hatch covers, trunk supports, remounted the centerboard and repaired the faulty hull and deck joint. It had a blue hull originally but at some time it was painted black, I think it looks great. I also modified the mast step by raising it up above the level of the centerboard and built a pivoting step to make raising and lowering the mast easier as we trailer sail the boat. The mast was slightly cut down by about six inches. The bottom of the main was in tough shape so we also cut about a foot off the bottom and did a nice job resewing it. The boat does not seem to notice this reduction and as I often sail alone I find it a bit easier to handle in heavier air. The boats performance always amazes me and it is one of the faster boats on Lake Calhoun here in Minneapolis. Often after an afternoon of sailing other sailors will come up and ask me "what is that?" I have the reacher but have not used it as I may be missing a few bits for it. Overall it's in good shape now.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 08/23/2011 09:08AM by srust58.
Re: Whip owner new to the forum
August 24, 2011 10:42AM
Thanks for sharing. That sounds like a great boat!
August 28, 2012 06:36PM
Nice boat. I just picked mine up August 18 in St. Paul. it was sailing Pleasant lake. we are a couple lucky Whip owners in my opinion. good luck sailing.
August 28, 2012 10:31PM
this weekend I'll roll my boat on it's side out on the grass and install a new centerboard pin and tighten up any loose ends.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 08/31/2012 07:58PM by wetvette.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login