Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG19 First trip

Posted by DaleWray 
MFG19 First trip
August 13, 2011 12:01AM
Deciding work was crimping our style, my wife and I knocked off early to get a cruise in on wednesday! Wind 5-10mph, man this boat sails nice! It was the first time just the two of us were out in a cruiser, so awesome.

I have a 55lbs thrust electric motor on, it is just great for getting in and out of the slip on our smallish inland lake.

While we were out, the traveler line snapped! I'm sure it was bad and I just didn't see it beforehand. The traveler is not cleated in any way, either end if the line is held down by a washer and a screw. I should have taken a picture, I'll do that tonight or tomorrow. How are others travelers set up? Same way? Different?

We are also missing a sail slider, the little white plastic gizmo that slips into the mast slot. I see several styles online, but none that quite match. I assume it really doesn't matter as long as I get one that is the same general size and shape?

Re: MFG19 First trip
August 14, 2011 02:50AM
One wierdo traveller:

Re: MFG19 First trip
August 14, 2011 03:27AM
Hey DaleWray:
Glad you had a good initial sail. I was out Wednesday in central Ohio in a 12mph wind and had a fantastic sail. In regards to your two questions: There is a company in Pennsylvania called SailCare which cleans and reconditions sails and also sells a variety of parts including sail slides, blocks, cam cleats, etc. They cleaned and repaired my main over the winter (new headboard, reset the ropebolt, restiched all the way around including the batten pockets and put on new slides and shackles) for less than $250. The sail looks great. Secondly, I modified my traveler by screwing the line in to the deck at the center of the traveler and putting swivel bearing blocks with cam cleats at each end of the traveler. This way I can control the traveler simply by pulling the line either way and locking it in the cam cleat. I works for me. The way I have my boat configured I can control everything from the cockpit. Good sailing!

Dick
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login