Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

Another voyage

Posted by Joe 
Joe
Another voyage
August 12, 2011 03:47AM
Well the high temps and humidity finally broke in middle TN. Our high was 88 with 68% humidity, a whole lot better then last week. After work today I decided to head to the lake. Forcast was for 5mph wind out of the north. Normally this isn't very promising, but I chose to go anyway. After rigging my sidewinder, I headed out of the marina. Things were going pretty slow while exiting, but I was reassured by someone coming off the lake that the wind was pretty good once you cleared the no-wake bouys. Boy was I pleasantly surprised. As I entered the main body of the lake, swells started to form with hints of breaking caps. This looked like it was going to be the most wind I've encountered since having it.

I recently got an android phone and downloaded an app for a GPS speedometer. All I can say is if its accurate at slower speeds, 8 mph is fast enough for me in this little boat. I think I maxed out at 9mph. 7mph was very common and sustainable. I don't know what the wind speeds were on the lake, but it was considerably more then onshore. I'd like to know if someone uses any of these GPS apps.

I've previously had it heeled over enough to run the rubrail in the water, today I had half of the other bench in the water. Some places the wind was so much that even letting out the sheets wasn't enough to get the rubrail out of the water. I do need to get more comfortable with hanging out over the edge. Maybe it's time for a trapeze.

I'm including a screen shot of a couple of my trips, todays trip is the blue route. You can look up Percy Priest Reservoir on Google Earth. It's just east of Nashville TN.

[www.sailmfg.com]

Joe
Sidewinder #327
Re: Another voyage
August 12, 2011 04:29AM
Wow, Joe. Sounds great. I'm glad you are having such fun. This really is a great boat.

Thanks for the map of your sailing routs. That is really neat.

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
August 12, 2011 11:30PM
Nice map! I will have to copycat you on the GPS app =)
Joe
August 13, 2011 04:24AM
The GPS app only tracked my speed. I traced my route on Google Earth using my memory to share with my father. He loves sailing but sadlly his health has prevented him from sharing in my trips. This is my way of showing him where I've been.

Joe
Sidewinder #327
Joe
August 26, 2011 04:13AM
Here is what I did for my day off. I guess I got on the water at about 1pm and finally got back in at 5:30. I traveled about 18 miles total. But the wind was real screwy and not anywhere near what the weather was calling for. The best I could do was about 6-7mph in short bursts. I’m getting used to using my hiking straps for my feet too.
You can follow my route if you start at my boat. The wind was from the NW so I gibed all the way out and a lot of tacks coming back. I actually went under the Hobson Pike Bridge the first time, wing to wing.

[www.sailmfg.com]

Joe
Sidewinder #327
August 26, 2011 06:00AM
Thats what i call 'goin for a sail'!
August 27, 2011 03:47AM
redwoodsidewinders Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Thats what i call 'goin for a sail'!

Yes, I agree!

Paul
Webmaster: sailmfg.com
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login