Welcome! Log In Create A New Profile

Advanced

MFG19 Project Boat

Posted by JerseyMFG 
MFG19 Project Boat
July 29, 2011 07:52PM
Hey all - I have a MFG 19 sitting on the hard for the last couple years after trailoring it from Lake Champlain where it sat on the hard for the previous 20 years. Before that it was allegedly sailed up the coast from Florida to New York.

I'm finally getting down to rehabbing it so, it can return to the water (in my case, the Jersey shore).

My first question (of probably many) has to do with a 'weep' hole in the keel. It's on the starboard side and seems to drain water from the bilge. Is anyone familiar with this aspect of the 19's design, and more importantly, what are other 19 owners using to plug the thing? I'll see if I can include a good picture of the hole.

This is my first boat and I'm looking forward to making it look as nice as possible, both inside and out. I'll try to keep this thread updated with pics and notes as I work on the boat and get it ready for the next season (no time or money to get the bottom wet this season).

Thanks in advance and I look forward to participating in the forum.
Re: MFG19 Project Boat
July 30, 2011 03:01PM
Hey Jersey:
I have NO idea what you are talking about with a weep hole in the keel. Pictures would be very helpful. I've had my 19 for 9 years and am always finding out new things about her. One thing I do know is that she is well made and tough as nails. I sail on a small inland lake in Ohio, but my boat had been docked and sailed on Lake Erie for many years. Good luck with your project. I'd be glad to chime in if you have any questions.

Dick
Re: MFG19 Project Boat
August 22, 2011 09:12PM
The pics I took of the weep hole are not very good. A good scrubbing will be needed to distinguish between hole and keel.

I did some more research and learned that many boats can have a variety of drainage or weep holes and for a variety of reasons. The most common reason I learned for a weep hole is to prevent ice damage by letting liquid water drain before it has a chance to accumulate and freeze in boats stored on the hard.

In other news, I just bought a 6hp Evinrude outboard (not sure of the year until I look up the serial number). At $450 bucks the motor cost almost as much as the boat but it came with a gas can, hose, new fuel pump and is clean enough to eat off of. The most exciting feature of the motor is the reverse gear.

This weekend I plan on taking off the boat's motor mount to get that back in shape. It's a solid looking spring bracket but there's rust under the paint so it needs to be wire-brushed, sealed and re-painted. There's a wood plate between the motor mount and the hull and that wood has seen better days. The whole mount assembly does NOT look original to the boat.

Getting the motor is a big accomplishment and let's me cross off one of the most important items on my boat project to-do list. Another major challenge for sailing the boat next season is finding a place to park the thing. There are a lot of marinas in New Jersey but I want to find one within an hour's drive from home and one where dockage fees don't rival my mortgage. Like finding the right motor, at least that challenge is just about doing research and putting some ducats away.

More soon -- happy sailing.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login